Day 4 (5&6)

3 minute read time.

Day 4 treatment couldn't end soon enough. Not that I am yet adversely affected by the RT, but the process of setting out to travel to the hospital, find a parking space, travelling back through a busy city ring road system etc. become monotonous even after the first week of treatment.

I know these are small complaints, but I have found myself looking forward to a weekend when I don't have to do this and I can return to a relatively normal routine.

Again, the treatment goes without incident, although the mask seems a little more uncomfortable, which I believe is down to a little extra inflammation of the wound. At home I am now pre-empting any pain by taking painkillers at the first unusual twinge. 

Throughout the healing process before the RT, I didn't get too much pain which I put down to the sheer numbness I have been having, so I don't think it's too much of a leap of faith to link the treatment to the 'new' pain I have been experiencing.

That out of the way, I'm looking forward to actually going out for a couple of beers with friends later this evening.

Clean, white, freshly-ironed shirt and smart jeans make me feel almost respectable. (I have lived in t-shirts and shorts for a few weeks now.)

Drinking from a pint glass presents its own difficulties as lips still not doing the stuff they ought to be doing, but I persevere, and actually manage 2 pints, and admitting defeat, I top out with a glass of delicious merlot, followed by tonight's prize - a doner kebab! (another fond farewell, in a series which is becoming a bit predictable now.)

At home me and pals play the youtube game, which consists of finding a tune you have yearned to listen to for some time, and annoying the neighbours. I always gravitate toward 80s tunes, which annoys the wife as she loves 70s, 60s, and for some obscure reason nothing after this until Oasis in the 90s, and then to add insult to injury, nothing after this until Coldplay.

So between Heaven 17, and Manfred Mann, I sip a cool vodka cocktail through a straw to cool my tongue down, which is now on fire due to the effects of chilli sauce.

So that was Friday. Saturday spent in a lethargic fashion, as I am not 18 any more and although it has been many years since I suffered with hangovers, I am definitely feeling a bit low in the morning.

I clear some more detritus out of the garage which is being demolished and taken away in 2 weeks *(asbestos) I have built a small annex shed to house the contents of said garage, but room is at a premium, and all my tools and hobby equipment is now unobtainable to me until I manage to build a new workshop. I am painfully aware that this may be some time, as already my energy levels are not what they were pre operation.

Sunday spent in a relaxed fashion, family for late lunch and my wife cooks the best brisket ever, until it disintegrates when carving, and a tastebud shattering rich gravy. The downside of the weekend was the stubbed toe I sustained, losing a large part of the top of my toe, and part of the nail. 

This has put paid to my sandal wearing period as toe not fit for polite company.

All in all, I had a chilled weekend, no obvious discomfort from the wound or from the RT.

This week is a 5 day treatment week, so no doubt I will be feeling the effects by next weekend. 

Or maybe not?

Anonymous