The back story

2 minute read time.

At the time this begins, August 2016, I was 34, married with three children aged 8, 4 and 1. I was a passionate breastfeeding advocate and homeschooling mother.

I was breastfeeding my one year old little boy and was increasingly sore on one side. I thought it was thrush, so I went to the GP who prescibed me something for thrush but he wasn't convinced that is what it was. He had a feel of my breast and noticed a lump. I knew it was there; I had actually had it checked out a few years previously and it was nothing. But my GP wanted to get it checked again - for which decision I am so grateful.

In August 2016, the week we moved house, I had my first appointment at the Breast Institute at Nottingham City Hospital. Biopsy taken as there was a change in the lump since my previous check. This didn't ring any alarm bells with me although it took me by suprise. I knew this lump was nothing.

A week later however I was diagnosed with DCIS and told to stop breastfeeding as I would need surgery and also radiotherapy. Massive shock. Devastated to have to stop breastfeeding.

I had a mammogram to see if there was any invasive cancer. Relieved to find none showed up. Advised that it was important that surgery went ahead as soon as possible just in case the DCIS developed into invasive cancer.

Weaned my little boy in 3 weeks so surgery could go ahead asap. One of the hardest things I have ever done. He had been feeding several times day and night. He would ask for milk and it was so hard to say no. I cried and cried. Still do. But it was that or risk complications of a milk fistula with the surgery. We did it.

Surgery took place October 24th. Wide local excision in day surgery unit. Went well, came home same day, recovered well. Lots of help from family and friends with childcare etc.

Three weeks later was results day. Massive shock #2: margins not clear so further surgery needed to remove whole lump. Also two areas of HER2+ invasive cancer meaning I need to have chemotherapy and herceptin treatment. Possible mastectomy.

Spent a week feeling sick, not eating or sleeping well. Had to face my mortality like never before - and what would happen to the children? Mastectomy didn't bother me so much, if that's what it would take to get rid of this disease. The prospect of chemo was a huge beast.

At the follow up appointment few days later to discuss details with my surgeon, she decided a mastectomy was not necessary at this stage. Although I was fully prepared to have a mastectomy if that was needed, it was a relief to be told that it wouldn't be necessary.

So the plan is further surgery (including lymph node biopsy), chemotherapy, herceptin (this continues for a year), radiotherapy, then further surgery if required e.g. reconstruction.

I am also a Bible believer and my faith has given me strength throughout this ordeal. So thankful through all of this that God is in control and I can look forward to the future He has planned for me with confidence. 'My help cometh from the LORD, which made heaven and earth.'

Anonymous