Results day

2 minute read time.

I have had to wait three weeks for the results of the re-excision and sentinel lymph node biopsy. Christmas was a useful distraction, although there was a big black cloud hanging over everything, and I was constantly reminded about the cancer by the pain in my arm.

The consultant immediately said it was good news, that the results had come back clear. The lymph node result was what I was dreading most as the presence of cancer in the lymph nodes would mean the cancer was one stage further advanced, and it would have required complete lymph node removal in that area which is not a nice procedure. So that was very good news.

She had a look at the wound and said it looked fine. I took the opportunity to ask her some things which I had been pondering, such as whether DCIS had been missed when I came about the same lump in 2009 (she said nothing had shown up on the ultrasound at that time) and whether the soreness I experienced when breastfeeding was related to the lump (she didn't think so; just a coincidence, or as I see it, God arranging things such that I went to the doctor, for which I am so thankful).

Then she left me with Diane, my breast care nurse, to explain about the next stage. But a little while later she interrupted us with profuse apology to say that she'd been looking at my pathology report to write up my notes and saw that the re-excision/cavity shave had not produced clear margins after all, that there were specks of DCIS in the tissue. She could not say then what would happen about that. It may mean further surgery, and I don't know whether this would be before or after chemo.

In any case they have referred me to the oncology department now to start the ball rolling with chemo and I should have my initial pre-chemo consultation within two weeks.

I also saw the physiotherapist who discovered a 'cord' in my arm which has formed as a result of having lymph nodes removed - it's basically crystallisation along the lymph vessel, and explains the pain I'm having. She's given me some tips to help with this and God willing I will see her again next week. It should improve.

God has been very merciful to us and I am so thankful that a great weight has been lifted today.

Anonymous