Preparation for chemo

1 minute read time.

I feel as if I'm entering another phase of my life when I start chemotherapy. It's a bit like preparing before having a baby (and also nothing like preparing to have a baby!). Hopefully the reality is that I will have some normal life in between doses, God willing. No amount of preparation can replace prayer and listening to the scriptures, but besides that I've been trying to do what I can to get ready; this list is to reassure me that I have done what I can, practically speaking!

• I had my hair cut. Drastically short! I had my long plait (56cm!) cut off before my first operation, into a bob, to make it easier to look after. That's before I knew chemo was down the line. Now it's really short. The cold cap will work better if there's not too much hair. I don't like it this short, but if it does fall out it'll be better to have little bits falling out than great lengths. I might shave it if it starts falling out. Doing it in stages will help the children get used to it too.
  • Recliner chair. I've bought a second hand one. I have hardly sat in it yet because the children have taken a fancy to it! Should help me rest!
  • Dentist. My gums will be much more sensitive and prone to bleeding and infection whilst on chemo so I can't have any dental work done then. So I had a check up and session with the hygienist a few weeks before chemo is due to start. They recommend a particular tooth brush and mouth wash.
  • Flu jab. My immune system will be pretty feeble so it will need all the help it can get! I got myself a flu jab a couple of months ago.
  • Sorting out things at home that I might not have the energy for during the next few months. For example I have sorted out all the children's clothes and got rid of outgrown things and taken them all to be fitted for shoes.
Anonymous