Chemo new patient session

1 minute read time.

So today was the information session with the chemo nurses in the chemo unit. My husband came with me. We got to see where I'll be going. It's like a ward really with several bays and chairs instead of beds. There is a reception and waiting area and they call you through when your meds are ready. It all seems a bit crazy and hectic but I suppose there is some order to it!

A nurse did a power point presentation for me and two other patients. It was all about the practicalities, a lot of which I knew already.

Then I had bloods done, which will be the last before chemo starts next week. Normally they will need to check blood within 48 hours before chemo to check that levels have recovered from the previous dose, but as this is the first one within two weeks is fine.

Then I had a one-to-one session with the nurse and discussed my particular regimen. Each dose should take about an hour and a half, plus 20 minutes if I want to use the cold cap. The three drugs are given separately along with saline through a canula in the back of my hand. A clever pumping machine mixes it and pumps it in. If any goes into the skin it stings - these are cytotoxic drugs after all! But they can slow it down by mixing more saline in if necessary.

I got my free parking permit (there are some perks to having chemo!) and a voucher for a wig. I will lose 30% of my hair even with the cold cap.

They gave me a card with a 24 hour help line number to call if the side effects are bad or if my temperature goes up to 38 degrees. They can arrange prescriptions to help with side effects. If my temperature goes up to 38 degrees they will tell me to come in to hospital straight away in case there is an infection.

Also today I saw the physiotherapist about the cord in my arm. It's still there but not troubling me much. She signed me off today, but I need to keep up the massage and exercises.

Anonymous