Chemo cycle #1, one week on

1 minute read time.

After coming home from hospital I still felt pretty ill. The anti-sickness tablets were controlling the sickness by the time I came home and I felt increasingly nauseous when another tablet was due, so I knew they were working. It was like having flu, and I dozed a lot. My face around my eyes was swollen at one stage. My vision was very blurry, and I found it very difficult to focus on anything. I wasn't expecting this as a side effect - something to ask the consultant about next time. It got better in a couple of days.

While I was going through the worst part I did feel quite low emotionally because I felt it was worse than I had been expecting, and I had no idea how long that part would last. However, Saturday afternoon was a turning point (cycle day 4, althgough only day 3 of being ill) and I noticed I was definitely improving and suddenly I felt as if chemo was doable after all. Two and a half days of feeling awful before improving doesn't seem that bad, and another cycle, God willing, I will know that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

For a few days I felt weak, woosy and wobbly and kind of swimmy.

Since then I have improved, some days gradually and some days markedly. Now, a week and a bit on, I would say I am 'ok'. I think I have to get used to a new 'normal' for me - slightly odd feeling all the time, slightly nauseous and sensitive to smells - but OK.

In fact, I'm now on quite a high with all the support we have recieved this week - flowers, meals, visits, gifts, help with the children, texts, cards, not to mention thoughts and prayers for us - this is like a huge, warm, cuddly cussion and it feels amazing.

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

I love your positive attitude, it will see you through this. My first chemo session was not good (put me in hospital for a week) but they figured out a way forward and all worked out after. Tell the docs what is happening and they will make any adjustments needed. Keep going!

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thanks Spinningman. I've actually recently finished chemo and I'm relocating my blog posts here from another site in the hope that my experience helps someone else. You are right about telling the doctors everything.