Surgery Date Confirmed - Just!

4 minute read time.

We arrived at the hospital a little earlier than we would normally do for our appointment as without paperwork to hand we expected that things might not be plain sailing. We were however pleasantly surprised as the staff in the Clinical Assessment Unit seemed to know all about Val and were expecting us. The radiographer was kindness personified and asked who our consultant was and when he needed the results. I said that we understood that there was a meeting the following day to determine the date of Val’s operation and she happily told us that the report would be ready that evening!

I have never experienced anxiety levels like this before. Uncertainty and a sense of waiting for something to happen merely added to our anxiety. We really want/need to know the date of the operation. Even if it is not the earlier date, as disappointing as that would be, at least we will know. For some reason the hospital staff acts as if they are unaware of the impact on those around the patient.

The hospital where the operation is to be performed needs Val to see a Stoma Nurse. It is something that cannot be done from there and so an appointment has been arranged for Thursday morning, April 13th, at the hospital where the cancer was first diagnosed.

The day before Easter and you couldn’t make it up! Val rang the surgeon’s secretary only to find that she had started her Easter holiday early, having passed all her paperwork over to a colleague. It appeared that all the paperwork was ready to be sent out but there was a delay caused by the need for an anaesthetist to look at the scan and its report, and she herself was finishing work at 2.00. We found this out on our way to the stoma nurse but quickly swung into action as the thought of being left dangling over the Easter weekend was unbearable.

Val rang the pre-op assessment unit. Inevitably the staff nurse who had carried out the pre-op assessment was not at work at work so Val asked the unit administrator to try to speed matters up.

By this time it was 11.00 and so I contacted the PALS unit at the hospital and explained the situation and asked them to do whatever they could to get someone to look at the scan. It was particularly galling that we had been given an appointment for the scan on the Tuesday which kept the prospect of Val’s surgery on the 20th very much in play and to miss out on that slot because nobody had taken the trouble to deal with this was just not acceptable.

We came way from Val’s stoma appointment at 12.30 with nobody having rung us back or left a message. Another round of phone calls ensued and I again spoke to the same lady that I had spoken to earlier in the PALS unit who were surprised that we still hadn’t heard anything. I was really angry although I would emphasise my anger was directed at the situation and not at the person I was speaking to. She said that she would chase it up and said that she had spoken to a senior manager about the situation.

Anxious and stressed we decided to go to the Macmillan Centre at the hospital and related our sorry tale to a lady who listened attentively and the said that she would contact her colleague at the other hospital which she did. While she was making that call, I received a call from the Urology Manager where Val was to have her operation.

She said that they were aware of the urgency but the anaesthetist who was to be present at Val’s operation was in theatre but once he was out she would ask him to review the scan and its report. I asked why when we had gone for the scan on Tuesday, the images and report had not been looked at the day before? If this anaesthetist was so busy then why couldn’t someone else look at it? The answer revealed a degree of preciousness as the anaesthetist who would be present at an operation likes to look at reports relating to that patient. My response was that he would have ample time to do that before the operation but we just needed someone do look at it now to enable the surgery to go ahead. Frustrated beyond belief I played the only card that I felt I had left – I told the Urology Manager that if Val’s surgery was delayed because nobody, given that Easter was upon us, had looked at the scan images and report then I would be making a formal complaint. Whether this worked or it was just a coincidence we will never know but within an hour we got the phone call we wanted – the scan images and report had been looked at and the surgery would go ahead on the 20th.

The sense of relief was immense as that call had ended our uncertainty and we could, within reason, get on and enjoy our Easter with our family. Emotionally the sting in the tail is that the sense of relief that replaced one set of anxieties was quickly nibbled away at as another set of anxieties made itself known. That however will be something for another day.

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Wow what a terrible situation. I can sympathise as ive had something similar happen. I have all the symptoms of ovarian cancer & have been referred for a ct scan & gynae appointment, i went to see my gp on monday who asked if I'd received the date for the scan i told him i hadn't & he was surprised as he'd sent it as urgent. My husband & I anxiously waited for the post for the next 2 days & still nothing, realising the Easter break was nearly upon us & my condition is deteriorating i rang the xray department. They told me yes they had received my referral but as it was sent as urgent that could mean a wait of up to a month, if it had been referred fast track that means within a fortnight. I was floored no way can i wait a month just for the scan, by this time my doctors surgery had shut as Wednesday is half day for them. My husband decided to make some enquiries about having a scan done privately, they only had the mobile unit once a week on a Thursday and it was fully booked for this week but had appointments for next week, BUT they need a referral from my doc.

So, Thursday morning first thing i rang my surgery to get an appointment with my gp to be told he was now on easter break! I explained everything to the receptionist who was lovely i hve to say & she told me my gynae appt had come through for the 25th April but she couldn't hurry along the scan date it was out of her hands, however she said if i wanted to go privately for the scan she could do the paperwork for the one doctor to sign that was in that day.

My husbang agreed that there was absolutely no point in seeing a consultant if didnt have the relevant information so we felt we had no option but to go down this route.

Iinformed the private hospital that they should have the referral by early afternoon, however the receptionist rang backbat 2pm to say she still hadn't received anything! More panic! I got onto the phone once again to the surgery to be told the doctor was now doing her visits but the paperwork was all ready for her to signas soon as she got back. I reiterated that this needed to be done before the end of the working day as everyone would be off then till next Tuesday.

I finally got confirmation at 4pm Thursday that i have my scan this coming Thursday, i hope to goodness the results are ready for my gynae appointment 3 working days later on 25th & dont have the same problem as your goodselves.

This is only the beginning for me & im stressed beyond belief over the process nevermind the diagnosis.

Lets hope we all have a smoother journey from now on, i wish you & your wife all the very best.

Diane

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Dear Diane

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my posting.

The lessons that I have learned from this process are:

1. Never assume.

2. Your case is only a priority for you and your family.

3. Be prepared to do whatever you can to get what you want and need.

4. It has helped my wife that I have been prepared to make the bulk of the phone calls . Be persistent, firm and polite but always prepared to open up as many "fronts" in the battle as necessary.

5. The Patient Advice and Liaison Service and Macmillan nurses can help enormously.

Best wishes to you and your family.

Dave

• I hope all as gone well for your beauty and the beast as been totally and utterly eradicated xx