Hair today, gone tomorrow

1 minute read time.

I was in the shower this morning and decided (while washing my naked scalp) to write an Ode to Hair Loss...it sort of started off making me a bit sad and then I laughed, because as we all know - without laugher, we would curl up and lay in bed fretting and that won't get us anywhere!  Off to oncologist in an hour to find a miracle cure for my aching legs and veins.

I thought I wouldn’t miss it much

I thought I wouldn’t care

I’d always worn it short, you see

‘Til chemo took my hair

I’m trying to accept it

I know it has to be

But the bald woman in the mirror

Just really isn’t me

My hair was cropped before all this

A salt and pepper hue

More boy than girl and that’s a fact

They should have named me ‘Sue’

‘You have the right shaped head’

They said,’ it’ll suit you Han, it will’

I’m sorry but I don’t agree

And the baldness irks me still

I promise when it grows again

Right from the very start

I’ll never cut it – ever!

On that I cross my heart

To all you hairy buggers

With your curls and length and fringes

Be glad you’ve got your mop up there

Bed hair? Just stop those whinges!

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Made me smile and shead a tear .

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Oh Acorn2000 I didn't mean for it to make anyone sad! I know what you mean though because when I read it out to my son just now (he's 27) I got a flippin' lump in my throat...

I just had to release my frustration at all my well meaning friends and family who said it wouldn't be so bad for me because my hair was short - the difference between short hair and baldness is MASSIVE and we were foolish to think otherwise.

Big hugs to you - it will come back eventually. Until then I'm going to just keep making up silly poems xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

II'm bald to snd I hate it my hair was waist length and curly. It all came out in three days. I cried and cried and everyone said once your treatments finished it will come back. I look so bad I won't even look in the mirror. It's horrible being bald and the wigs are really itchy . I thought your poem was nice and it made me laugh. No one understands unless they have been there. My brother keeps saying demi Moore looks hot with no hair and you don't look that bad. I might strangle him later lol xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I am most scared of losing my hair. I have only just found a lump so I don't know yet what treatments i will be getting.