Hair today, gone tomorrow

1 minute read time.

I was in the shower this morning and decided (while washing my naked scalp) to write an Ode to Hair Loss...it sort of started off making me a bit sad and then I laughed, because as we all know - without laugher, we would curl up and lay in bed fretting and that won't get us anywhere!  Off to oncologist in an hour to find a miracle cure for my aching legs and veins.

I thought I wouldn’t miss it much

I thought I wouldn’t care

I’d always worn it short, you see

‘Til chemo took my hair

I’m trying to accept it

I know it has to be

But the bald woman in the mirror

Just really isn’t me

My hair was cropped before all this

A salt and pepper hue

More boy than girl and that’s a fact

They should have named me ‘Sue’

‘You have the right shaped head’

They said,’ it’ll suit you Han, it will’

I’m sorry but I don’t agree

And the baldness irks me still

I promise when it grows again

Right from the very start

I’ll never cut it – ever!

On that I cross my heart

To all you hairy buggers

With your curls and length and fringes

Be glad you’ve got your mop up there

Bed hair? Just stop those whinges!

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Love the ode - very creative and funny ! Really enjoyed it well done you !

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Loved it, like CAJONES I am at the beginning of my journey. I have been told that I will be having chemo though and I am not looking forward to being bald. I wear my hair short also, but am still not looking forward to it. Hugs all round and I look forward to seeing another ode in print.

Thanks for making me smile xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I loved your poem, you have a great sense of humour. My husband is starting chemo tomorrow and I will encourage him to write poems as his sense of humour is the only way he is getting through this terrible time in his life.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I love this. It expresses everything so well about losing hair. I too was short haired by choice pre chemo and I think that people thought that I would cope well with losing it since I liked it short. My short was stylish and chic and even. It was not randomly thin and patchy. By the way please send this into a magazine. If they publish it then the cheque will pay for a couple of cream cakes and coffees. Enjoy!!