Won't have the stomach for this

Less than one minute read time.

Well, I had my meeting with my consultant last week and thankfully they've decided to offer me surgery. As with all good news - I've discovered in the last few months - there's some bad news to go along with it: they have changed the plan from the usual Ivor Lewis surgery to a total gastrectomy... I'm getting my stomach removed! To further complicate matters, I have a large node near my pancreas which could cause them to abandon surgery once they've opened me up because it would mean that the cancer has spread. However, I'm not letting myself become despondent at all about any of this, because I am being given the chance of a life, which many people who have this, frankly, shiter of a disease don't get. 

Two weeks from now I will be in hospital preparing for my operation in the morning. Can't believe I've finally got to this point. 

Anonymous
  • Great to see you are being so positive Graeme and have the chance to go through the surgery. I'm grateful that I had the chance of surgery last October. I stay in a relatively small village and of 3 of us diagnosed with different types of cancer, I'm doing well. One lasted a few months the other guy is going through hell with experimental chemotherapy just to prolong his life. So I'm glad to count my blessings. Good luck with it all.

Kind regards Frank