(6) 4th Week, and treatment finished - the mask's revenge!!

1 minute read time.

That's it RT all finished, 20 sessions have just seemed to fly over. I am now at the stage where everything has gone quiet, no more daily trips for treatment, and I just need to concentrate on gaining back the stone and a half of weight that I have lost. 

At the end of my last post, I had 4 sessions left to go, and the throat was quite sore on the week-end, although not unbearable. I was, (and am) still just using paracetemol for relief. (not the morphine I was told I may need!) Monday went fine, 10 minute session.  I was due to have my weekly scan on the Tues, followed by the treatment.  On the Tuesday I got myself settled, Moody Blues in full swing, and positioned for the scanner. Ha! the machine decided to break down with me in it.! The radiographers came in, and asked if I was OK to to lie there a while longer, while they got some technicians in to try to reset the machine.- 30 mins later they abandoned efforts to get a reset,  and the scan was therefore deferred. They then spun me around and completed the treatment. I was in the mask for about 40 mins, a little uncomfortable but coped - just. A liitle parting gift from that piece of mesh I think! The next day the scan and treatment were done without event, and the last day also went smoothly, except that they asked me if I wanted to keep the mask, which I very politely refused! 

I am now 5 days post treatment, and I have very little discomfort, certainly not as much as I was told may happen. I have a small amount of mucus which only really causes annoyance during sleep. My sore throat is abating a little, I only take pain relief before my main meal, and at bedtime. I am still able to eat soft foods, and swallow OK. My taste buds and saliva were not affected at all. My neck is a little red, but more itchy than sore.

All in all I feel very lucky to have come through this, experiencing little discomfort from side effects, and having been able to beat my phobia. I now only need to get my voice, and appetite back, and hope that my post-treatment check-ups go well !! 

Anonymous