(3) I think I've nearly beaten this phobia !!

1 minute read time.

First week of radiotherapy treatment gone over already ! 6 down, 14 to go. After the first treatment in the mask last Friday went without panic, the 20 min sessions on Monday and Tuesday (Scan + treatment) went really well (still with the aid of a little tablet). The rest of the week I barely had time to listen to half way through the second track of my CD when it was mask unclip time, and all over with !! By yesterday (Friday), I was just lying there breathing totally normally (no big gasped breaths or panic reduction breathing). What a difference  to two weeks ago, before treatment started, when I was having night terrors, and shear anxiety.  To anyone reading this who has any worries about this face mask thing, my advice would be to let your treatment team know, your partner, your doctor,  the radiotherapy staff, and anyone else that will listen. There is help for you, and you will receive it if you let them know that you have issues. I could have saved myself a lot of stress if I'd stopped trying to macho it out, and asked for help sooner. Next week I'm going down to "half a pill", and see how it goes. The team physcotherapist rang me during the week to ask how I was coping, and she was "over the moon" at my progress. (she saw the anxious state I was in first hand) She helped so much with her pre-treatment counselling, can't thank her enough. As yet, no side effects. Will post next week. Best wishes, and my thoughts to all.

Anonymous