1) Shock and Claustrophobia

1 minute read time.

I had just emerged from the biopsy anaesthesia when, I had a talk with the surgeon, who confirmed the malignancy, and revealed that because of its position, trans-oral surgery wasn't an option..A scan was done (with dye), to find the extent of the tumour, and the cancer team decided after studying the scan result, that radiotherapy was the best option for a cure, although it was possible to access the tumour by opening up the front of the throat. I did not pursue this option at the time, and opted for radiotherapy. Bang, things move very quickly - speech therapist measurements, teeth xrays, dental appointments and 3 extractions,, oncologist radiographer, and care nurse meetings. A few days later, a district nurse was appointed, and a fitting for the face mask was set up - this was now getting serious!! This was when Claustrophobia set in. I had told the team of my condition, and I had some sedatives prescribed. It was not thought necessary to be "zapped out" just for the mask fitting, so I did not bother. However they wanted to do a final dye scan later in the day, but didn't tell me it would be done in the mask clipped down. No medication - pure panic!! How I lasted 20 or so minutes, I have no idea,a lot of blowing and puffing I think. I got back home in a right state, had little sleep and night terrors for  4 nights, until I had to call the nurse for a meeting a few days later. At this point I wanted to pursue the possibility of surgery, to avoid that mask! After discussions and more coaching on breathing techniques from the team psychologist, and sedation advice. I rejected the surgery, and i have a second date with the mask, and start radiotherapy on Friday 3rd February. I'll let you all know how it goes, I am terrified but I know I have a fantastic team around me which I trust implicitly. They have been so good, patient, and the cancer support team really are angels. Even to a pain in the a** customer like me!!  i know that my case sounds like walk in the park compared to what some people on here are going through, and my heart sincerely goes out to you all.

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

If you have not done so please ask for the trial drugs it might be the better option, my poor wife Ann waited too long to ask for the trials and ended up too weak to take them, please ask as soon as possible.