The Nine Thousand and Thirty nine Steps

5 minute read time.

Sunday morning started badly. There was an AGM meeting at 11.15 in the indoor Bowls Centre ... on Mothering Sunday!!!! Still it should only last 45 minutes to an hour. There is rarely anything that needs discussion, but if you’ve been dragged out on a Sunday morning you are not going to be in a good mood. We can predict the items which will be brought up since it is the same complaint every year – “we always play on Sunday morning so why do you put matches and competitions on then”. The same answer is given each year and the discussion drags on and on and on. This year there was a complaint about the website not being updated regularly. Well, excuse me; I was rather preoccupied fighting cancer last year! By the time the meeting finished it was 1.00pm before I left the centre.

I had shopping to do so rather than go home and cook my dinner, I had lunch at Sainsbury’s. It was much better than LM’s hospital food, but then it looks as though a Big Mac would be better than hospital food.

By the time I got home, the sun had come out and it was ideal weather for gardening. I needed to act quickly, so on went the walking boots and camera in hand I set off for a walk. Well I’m supposed to get some exercise to speed my recovery. What’s that you say? Gardening? Good exercise? Well yeassss and I will do some one day.

I try to vary my route to reduce the chance of just making it an irksome exercise (can’t believe I just typed that!) and chose to try a walk I used to take years ago. Down to the village of Rhiwderin which is supposed to nestle in the valley of birds, but has grown over the years and now straddles a main route to the M4 motorway. Any birdsong is largely drowned by the sound of traffic until you get away from the main road.

There are a number of lanes leading from the village which are pleasant to walk along with gentle slopes. When my in laws were alive we walked many times along these lanes from our house to theirs, but sadly today I’m walking alone. My intention is to walk up to five lanes and from there back to the main road.

The weather is great, with the sun shining and some clouds about. Flowers are beginning to appear and the birds are singing. And the walk is on the level, what more could I ask for?

I reach a junction where there is a lane leading up the slope and not sure which route to take I opt for the level road. Not the one I intended, but I didn’t realise that until I was too far along, so instead of being a circular route it was going to be a there and back one.

The road was flanked by fields on either side with horses in the fields and the sign said it was the route to Pentre Tai farm. As I approached the farm, I noticed what a large number of windows the building had and thought “What a large family the farmer must have”! Then I saw the B&B sign, and there were also caravans parked nearby.

There were also Shetland ponies nearby, but too far away to take a picture. Passers-by pointed to a gate where I could gain access to the fields on a public footpath. I thanked them and waited til they were out of sight before walking on. Well there was mud in the field and I didn’t want to get my new walking boots dirty.

I was overtaken by a husband & wife walking their dog. I assumed they were husband and wife, but you never know these days do you? We exchanged greetings and the dog wasn’t left out. Imagine my surprise when five minutes later I met them coming back. I asked them was it just a short stroll. I know I’m into short strolls too, but you know that superior feeling when you know you are going to walk farther than someone else! I was told there were dogs down there and the wife didn’t want to walk past them!?!

Cowards I thought and walked on.

As I approached a farm entrance I heard the loudest barking and growling I have heard since watching the Hound of the Baskervilles. The notice on the gate said quite clearly “Warning Guard Dogs”. And the guard DOG was clearly visible, stood on the roof of his kennel, barking and with that look in his eyes which said Lunch has arrived. I didn’t stop to take a picture but walked swiftly by on the other side of the road, hoping that he was securely tethered.

I met another couple walking their dog and they told me that there was a nice walk along the river then across the fields to Rogerstone, but it was getting late and the sun was setting so I decided to walk as far as the River.

The river Ebbw used to have salmon in it, but when collieries further up the valley installed coal washeries, the effluent turned the river into a black smelly sludge. The environment agency have done a great job of cleaning this river and you can now see the river bed and I’m told fish are coming back, but I haven’t seen any.

I returned home the way I had come and as I approached Rhiwderin I noticed the black clouds coming in. The rain didn’t start until I had reached the bottom of our hill. It takes me about 15 minutes to get home from there and I got soaked to the skin. So much for my waterproof jacket.

The sun was still shining brightly as this heavy downpour continued and we were rewarded with a bright rainbow. As usual the end of the rainbow was not in my garden so no pot of gold.

Checking my step counter I had done a tad over 9039 steps or about 5 miles. I felt very virtuous, my bllod sugar was good and I took a well deserved rest.

Well it was raining so I couldn’t do the garden, could I?

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thankyou everyone for reading my blog and making such nice comments.

Oh annie! Do you really want to turn me into another Alan Tichmarsh?! :-( I suppose I would enjoy doing the Classic FM music, but oh all that gardening!

Thanks everyone for the company; you're never alone in warpland.

Rosie, thankyou very much for your kind remarks. May you find joy in your life and I hope that one day the end of the rainbow lands in your garden and the other end in rainbow chaser's garden..

Love and hugs to everyone,

Odin xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Only just caught up with this marvellous blog. I should have been with you as I join Ian Botham on his walk on the Clent Hills in less than 3 weeks and I feel so ill-prepared. Luckily my daughter is doing it with me and will drag me along (and she will have my little grandson in a sling too).

We have the canal and woods on our doorstep, and lots of wildlife, but being in the garden is spoilt by the dogs at the nearby pub which bark for hours at a time. Be careful with that gardening, as I pulled a muscle doing some light digging a couple of weeks ago. Enjoy a book or some music instead :-)

Oh! And why does ClassicFM have to take on every Tom Dick and Harry from TV, pop world etc. I like John Suchet as he has gravitas and has researched his subject, and I enjoy Jamie Crick, David Mellor and Simon Bates when he was on, as he knew radio, but why Lawrence Llewellyn Bowen, Alex James, and now Titchmarsh???

Love and hugs

Louise xxxx