Low sodium and potassium

Less than one minute read time.

Hi folks, I haven't blogged for several months now, but I keep an eye on how all my Mac friends are getting on.

But now I'm hoping for some information - my elderly mother-in-law has low sodium and potassium levels (not cancer-related, as far as we know, but she has other medical problems). She has been in hospital for several days, is very confused a lot of the time, has little appetite and is on restricted fluid intake. It's hard to get there at a time when a doctor is around, and we can't seem to find anyone who can tell us what is causing this problem and whether they can put it right. They've tried saline drips and potassium drinks, but there's no improvement yet.

I've seen blogs where low sodium levels have been mentioned - any advice? Thanks, Val

Anonymous
  • I'm sorry I can't help but you could ask the  team on the Macmillan Support Line 0808 808 0000.

KateG

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi, could your mother's low sodium and potassium levels be drug related ?  The anti-seizure drug Oxcarbazepine which my hubby used to take caused him to have low sodium levels (potassium was ok). Maybe there are other drugs which cause this problem too ? When he was taken off this drug and given alternative medication, his sodium levels returned to normal - which for an adult is between 134 - 146 (blood test).  If your Mother is on medication it's worth checking out the side effects. When my husband first developed low sodium levels - instead of starting with the basics (I had asked if it could be drug related) they started checking his piturity gland and kidney function!  We got there eventually though!  I hope all goes well and they can find the cause. Best wishes to you both, Debs x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I do apologise for referring to your Mother-in-Law as your Mother in my above post. Debs x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Val, My mum had both low sodium and low potassium.  It was the low sodium that caused her confusion and they did give her a drug to increase her sodium level which worked as she became less confused.  I can't remember the name of the drug but I'm pretty sure it'll be somewhere in my blog so I'll look for it and if I find it I'll let you know.

In terms of the potassium mum was asked to eat a banana each day and that was sorted within a few weeks.  

Caroline XX

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thank you all for your messages. Most of her medication (apart from blood presusre tablets) has been stppoed, so we wait to see the outcome. She is improving, but getting information is still tricky - never any doctors around at visiting time!

Love to all Val XX