The bits about grieving no one talks about

3 minute read time.

On Thursday the funeral went as well as it could have done, so many beautiful flowers, I managed to get through my poem. Now I sit here and slowly the realisation has started hitting, it is coming in waves and somedays are without tears as she wouldn't want me to cry, and other days I just cant stop. Today is one of those days.

I am back to work today, and although its only a part time job its hard to even think about going back. I want to sit here in my own world feeling sad, feeling like that light that is so prominant in your life is gone, never ever to return. I dont want to get out of bed because it hurts to damn much, and as the morning light creeps in and your somewhere between dreams and sleep, its like a smack it the face with a frying pan. She isn't here any more.

Only people, family, carers, friends who have watched a loved one suffer so much can truly understand when I say as much as I love her, miss her crave to speak to her, feel sick to my stomach with grief, that however I feel I do not, can not wish her back. How can I? Nearly 5yrs of fight this horrible evil vile disease, I can not do that. The days I held her as she cried in pain, as we spoke about how she was feeling and what was happening, I've never seen a braver person. My mum was tiny I say tiny as in physical size she was 5ft 1 and was lucky to weigh over 7st. But inside was an immense power, bravery that i have never seen before.

Friday I went to Michelham Priory Kev and I needed some off time, we walked and spoke and got entrawled into the place and it was an amazing historical place. We stopped for lunch at their cafe and I turned to look at what they had to offer, in a split second I was in tears, I had almost forgot, I had not thought about what had happened. Yet looking at one candy cane brought me to my knees. Its something I would have bought for mum as a gift as we always did when we went places.

One thing that we put in with her was a half eaten rock my neice and I had picked up in Brighton when we went. She had nibbled at it and not finished it. We put quite a bit in with mum and as we lined it up we joked it'd weigh more then her. Her favourite tea cup, a crystal cross I had bought in Dublin and a piece of buble wrap, she was well renowned for saving bits of it so she could "pop it later" more stuff then I could ever write on here, some private stuff too.

On Saturday we went to Sainsburys a new one has just opened up down the road so we went for a nose, even though they all look the same now. As we looked through the isles of clothes I stopped and looked at a jumper mum would have liked for Christmas. So we move to the free of people gadget isle where I cant do anything but to hang onto Kev and cry. We now joke that I have to stop crying because it looks like he's been mean to me. Its the only way I can stop.

I have done all christmas shopping online, I cant bare the shops. Or Christmas. As much as both of my parents were christmas fanatics this year I just want it to stop. Hell I want to world to stop and just for two seconds acknowledge she has gone. My worst fear of shops is card shops, and I know if you have been through this you will understand. So now I have sat here and mumbled and spurt it all out there in a post that can only be described as "Black" I will move on for today, I will get ready for work at three and go on my way at four. I know I have to give it time, its been nearly six yrs since we lost dad and I was only thinking in October that weight you have in your heart had subsided, it was ok that he was gone and I love him and miss him but I felt "OK" Now I cant see the light at the end of the tunnel, I cant see a way out and in all honesty I really dont want too.

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi, I really understand your pain. My Mum passed away on the 16th November and I have never felt pain/hurt numbness like it!!

She was diagnosed with NSCLC in September, and as she was in no pain or discomfort we were all prepared for at least 12 months with Mum. Sadly she kept getting chest infections and spent the last week of her life in a beautiful Hospice. We were with her at the end. We then went into auto pilot and organised the funeral, which went well and then BANG. I thought it was hard saying goodbye to her, I now know it's learning to live without her.

I feel as if I have been part of something that really isn't real!!! With Christmas around the corner I too want to scream stop. I don't want it. I have an a 11 year old Son who was so close to his Nan and if anything when he is around is a good distraction. So Christmas will have to happen for his sake as my Mum would haunt me if I spoilt his Christmas, but how I will cope I don't know.

I used to speak to my Mum everyday and have been with her everyday virtually since September - I am having to make sure that I am kept busy and not on my own for too long. I cry so much and I don't know when the wave is going to gush over me.

The one thing I have realised is that it is better to let it out than hold it in - and not to be bothered what anyone thinks.

Take care.

Katrina

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

My Heart goes out to you both.

xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

There is nothing good when your mum dies, it has taken me 3 years finally to be able to use that word .

Its like all the little memories from your childhood that you were too young to recall that she used to throw into conversation unbidden are all gone too, the feeling that you will never be loved so unconditionally again. I am 65 now but was still her baby as she always reminded me.I am the highest part of the family tree now and thats scary.

I had the worst first year after her death, shouting my grief, crying uncontrollably at the drop of a word or some little thing that brought back the remembrance that she wasnt on the end of the phone and I couldn't just tell her stuff that we would both have enjoyed...Battenburg cakes in the supermarket reduce me to tears regularly, mum used to buy them for me and I havent had one since

The last two years have been easier, anniversaries less painful to bear, her birthday is Christmas Eve so that is always difficult still, I do make a point of sitting in the seat she used to favour when we went for a cuppa after shopping, some comfort in continuity. I hate cliches but the passing of time does help, and life does go on no matter how much you don't understand why it should. It is a very personal time of coming to terms with mortality in general..

In the months before she died the care home where she lived were involved in making a dvd of residents memories . My darling mum took part in it so I have a wonderful physical reminder that she handed to me of her alive breathing happy presence, I can see her little mannerisms and hear her voice again and I am so glad to have it although sometimes watching it does bring the tears again . I see her as the happy much loved woman she was.

I know that to love somebody will bring great joy with their presence and infinite sadness with their loss, it was and will be ever thus . Each of these states is as bearable for every one of us as it has been for mortals ever since man first began. There are no slick ways to counteract grief it will hurt until it doesn't hurt as much , diversions are a great help and over time the raw wound you carry heals over somewhat as you allow yourself back into whatever is your normal living experience although changed.

These days I look at people around me with more compassion because I know that we each carry or will carry the same grief around and we need to be more gentle with each other. The person next to me in the queue has a life unknowable to me and may just need a smile to help them along in that moment.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I absolutely fell apart last night, i have felt so numb until then, got into bed at 10 as usual was awake until 12 then decided to get up and read, not sleeping has become part of my daily routine, last night at three I crawled into bed next to my fiance and just fell apart. I felt so angry, felt it was my fault. In a conversation leading up to when it happened I told her it would be her choice when to go and when she decided that it was time it'd be ok to do so. How I want to take those words back, hell, it wasn't ok for her to go, I need her.

Fighting cancer for nearly 5yrs I just tought it was what she needed to hear, that we'd all be ok and we'd miss her like crazy. I'm not ok and it shouldn't of happened.

Yet today I feel numb again, the tears shine but dont fall. I miss her with every heartbreaking breath. Its so easy to sit here and think of her as still lying on the sofa in her home in Kent. Maybe thats the problem were I am not there to see she is gone maybe its hard for me still to believe it? I have a voice mail on my phone that was left by her a few days before she went, I haven't listened to it yet. I daren't.

Today would have been my dads 67th Birthday, he's now spending it with lifes cream of the crop.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hey Tiggs, I am so so sorry to hear about your mum. I saw you there and thought oh hooray its Tiggs and I am sorry that it has to be meeting again in such sad times.

I can't say anything to make the pain go away but sending you a big big hug. It will slowly sink in over time and all I can say is my mum died of cancer too a long time ago now and the pain does become bearable over time and you will one day remember her and smile....

You said the right words to her. They are the hardest words to say and took all your courage and don't take them back, because for her it was the right itme to go and she is not in pain anymore. She would have been so proud of you as you were an amazing daughter to her.

Lots of love to you

Little My xxxxx