March 2011 Update

1 minute read time.

Yesterday's Oncology appointment to discuss results of CT scan taken 4 weeks ago went as follows:

The 25 metastasized tumours in Hubby's lungs are growing, and are now infecting several lymph nodes. Everything looks "a bit" more aggressive than before.

Hubby STILL has to decide if he's ready to start Palliative Chemo. He's been taking Tibetan medicine for the past 2 years, which had slowed the growth and spread of these tumours but these tumour growths are now speeding up, and going to the lymph. (Tibetan Medicine does not claim to have a cure for cancer).

So Now, Hubby is thinking about the possibility of considering the option of weighing the variables of pondering the choice of starting Palliative Chemo. 

The Oncologist said that while Hubby is thinking about all this, IF his health suddenly takes a downturn, that I am to rush him to hospital.

It's been over 2 years since Hubby's bowel cancer recurred in his lungs. Since then, he has had a CT scan every 3 months, with a follow-up appointment with the Oncologist 4 weeks after, and each time, he gets the same diagnosis / prognosis. It has been like walking on the edge of a razor blade.

Hubby's coughing is becoming a bit more persistent and his energy level seems to be decreasing very slowly.

Hubby never thought the day would come when he would have to choose between Western Medicine, and Tibetan Medicine, as he always thought that Tibetan Medicine would cure him. Needless to say, he is disappointed. He is now thinking that if he prays harder, or cloisters himself in meditation, the cancer will disappear. I can only be supportive.

We are in the middle of Year 5 since the original diagnosis of T3N2 Rectal Cancer. Originally, he had surgery, chemo, chemo with radiation, more chemo, and more surgery. He was "NED".

Then he tried Naturopathy - (it didn't work - even made it worse - as 19 new tumours appeared in his lungs during this treatment); Chinese Medicine - (it didn't work, and was VERY Expensive); and then Tibetan Medicine - (for the past 2 years - which had slowed the growth and spread of the mets in the lungs - for a while).

Sigh - This is so frustrating!!! 

Big Big Hugs to all of you who are going through this and are affected by it.

Love, Maureen

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thank you, Anna, Susie, Jax, Rosemary, Sarsfield, Emz, Positive Lady, Jen, John, and Kate.

Do you know what??? This is the FIRST time in History that:

1 - We all have access to just about all the latest studies and medicines involved with cancer;

2 - We all have access to Each Other!! This is most important because for the First time ever, we can compare treatments being offered in different parts of the world... By "we" , I mean patients and carers.

What I want to know most, is why Jen, and Susie's husband are being offered NO treatment, while other people, including My husband - who seems to have the same cancer at the same stage, ARE being offered treatment???

A dear friend of ours with stage 4 Bowel Cancer, managed to live for 6 or 7 years while taking various chemo's. In 6 or 7 years, one can assume that great strides will be made in the field of cancer research, thereby hopefully improve everyone's chances of long term survival, and the eradication of cancer altogether.

My question is: Why is there Such a disparity in the treatments of cancer from Doctor to Doctor, from hospital to hospital, and from country to country?????

Thank you all for responding...

Sending you ALL Big Hugs and Love,

Maureen  XOXOXOXOXOXO

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Maureen

Just read your posts, sending loads of hugs.  It is such a difficult journey.

love

Bren

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Maureen,

It is the same here for other cancers too. I was told 3 years ago on DX that chemo and RadioTherapy were not effective for Locally Advanced Prostate Cancer. Only available treatment was Hormone Injections or Implant every 3 months. This is now failing and suddenly offered Radio Therapy as a solution to slowing it down for a while.

Think the answer to your question is almost as elusive as why does Ca pick on a particular person -Fate maybe ?

Maybe the real answer is that if there was definitive solution it would offered - almost like prognosis - the Docs, stumbling in the dark and using best guesses - they do mean to offer the best possible treatment - but none know what it is.

Love and Hugs

J xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Mrs R.

Don't come here very often as life sort of gets in the way. Yours is the first thing I've read today and I want to send you and L my very best wishes. Will be thinking of you both.

With lots of love.

The other Mrs R.xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Maureen we spoke long ago before my father passed, wanted to check in with you. Tiebetan medicine is amaxing never knew it could really help, I'm happy to read your husband is wanting to meditate harder, he's still fighting a good fight. The transition to palliative care was the point I saw a major change in my father he became more introverted, he'd considered prognosis irrelevant the whole time and refused to touch upon it, but when he was put under palliative care it was as if he resigned to doing less. It's up to your husband but if he wants to put off palliative I'd support that because I think it's important to keep a fighting mentality to be able to enjoy life for some people. It's so difficult to give advice.. I just applied to be a palliative care nurse here in NY :)