The next battle

• 2 days after cells returned

FormerMember
    FormerMember

So the tootie fruity turned sweetcorn smell has gone. Petes appetite still been really good & in general he's not been to bad all day. He had some chest tightness which were checked by various Dr's & ecg's but no cause for concern until his temperature started going up & down. At this point they put him on iv anti-biotics.  His neutrophil count has dropped from 2.8 the last 2 days to 0.6 so they…

• Day 6 - the sweet smell of stem cells

FormerMember
    FormerMember

So at 11.30 Pete was given iv paracetamol & anti-histamines. Job done, he was prepped & ready 2 go, with what I can only describe as r2d2 sitting outside his door. At 12 they came & gave him 2 bags Of cells, each taking about 5 mins & that was it. So simple. No more being allowed out of his room.

Pete had an urge for pizza for dinner, so once this was all completed I went off to the local shop to buy…

• Day 5 - quite boring really

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Well another good day. Pete slept on & off all day but he managed little walks in between naps & ate 3 meals a Mars icecream & a little chocolate... go Pete.  He still having his his Costa Coffee urges to. Dunno how long it will last as he said his taste buds had started to change today but I'll take what we can get right now 

• Day 4 - chemo free day

FormerMember
    FormerMember

So after completing his chemo yesterday. The sickness kicked in today. The staff have been fantastic & kept on top of it all day. Even had one nurse explain that its the brain that sends signals which create the sickness. It was really interesting. Other than this Pete is doing really well. Obviously dosed up with anti sickness orally & through syringe driver but he's eating little bits & has developed a liking for Costa…

• Today we begin

FormerMember
    FormerMember

So finely after a couple of false starts here we are at Southampton general about to begin what we hope will be the end of petes fight. Diagnosed with what is known in layman's terms as testicular cancer in his chest (none in his testicles) in may 2013 Pete underwent 4 lots of bep chemo. Each cycle lasted 2 days, with chemo being administered on days 1-5 & 13. This took us from July through to October & in November tumour…