You never think it will happen to you.

2 minute read time.

I have always been generally healthy although prone to some quite serious illnesses, which I have always managed to recover from.  The last was opthalmic herpes, a form of shingles that starts in the eye that left me partially blind in the left eye.  Anyway I got over it and I still have one good eye.

I went to the doctor because I was experiencing dribbling after I had urinated.  I was sent for a PSA test and the doc phoned me up a week later saying my PSA was high and she was making an appointment for me to see the urologist.  She was very careful to avoid using the word Cancer as I suppose it wasn't her place to do so at that point.  My appointment came through between Chrismas and New Year and when I got to the hospital at Bromsgrove the first person I saw was the Macmillan nurse who informed me my PSA was 128 and after a quick rectal examination called the consultant across who informed me that I most likely had prostate cancer.  I am a person who does not tend to panic and accepts the cr*p that life throws at me with stoicsm and just get on with it.  Having lost my sister to cancer only a year ago I did feel a sense of great disappointment that my own life may be cut short.  I felt and continue to feel well. 

I was started on Zoldaex and am now having the usual side effects of hot flushes, lack of libido, erectile disfunction.  I have always been one who had to urinate frequently so I did not really notice anything new although the cancer must have started several months ago.

I recently had a bone scan in view of my high PSA level and this has shown that the cancer has metastised to my pelvis.  I'm shortly to see the oncologist so watch this space.

So far all doom and gloom and you don't have to look far on the net for very worrying statistics about this condition.  However, as I said I'm not one to dwell on these things and as long as I feel well I'm going to carry on doing what I enjoy.  As my username suggests I am a guitarist and I am continuing to gig with my bands. Anybody interested have a look at www.facebook.com/FabulousOffcutz and if you're in the Redditch area this week or Wyre Piddle on the 17th come along and say hello.

So far I have nothing but praise for the way I have been treated by my GP and the various hospitals I have had to visit.  The staff all work hard and do a great job.

I'll continue with my blog as things progress.  If anybody wants to get in touch please feel free.  It's not good that you're here reading this but it is good to know you're not alone and you can get support, encouragement and answers to the things that may be concerning you.

As John Lennon once said "Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans".

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Some guitarists, me included, suffer from a condition called GAS (guitar aquisition syndrome).  Despite our partners arguing that we can only play one at a time we continue to fill the house with guitars until "she who must be obeyed" has enough and a couple get sold on eBay but they are soon replaced!

My name is Bill and I am a GAS addict.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Billy

Well, it's s**t that you had to come here, but now you are, here's a *hug* for you and your wife!

Stats and stuff can be misleading, and you can get caught up in all sorts of head f**ks reading info, although SOME is useful, it's difficult to sort the wheat from the chaff ;)

Kicking cancer's butt is the way to go, and we will all be here t oshare your journey. Feel free to rea dmy ramblings if you wish.

Good luck  and keep having fun

Ems x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thanks everybody for your kind words and encouragement.  When I was first diagnosed it was obviously a shock.  Apart from spending time at various hospitals I'm trying to lead as normal a life as possible.  My employers have been very supportive and have given me a useful but non-stressful job to do.  My band mates are convinced that I can beat this thing through the power of rock 'n roll.  Sounds like a plan to me.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hey Bill,

You've made me chuckle :), Dunc. is deffo a GAS, but come on admit it! it's not just guitars it's all the stuff to go with them, pedals and amps and, and, and!!! Yep he spends many hours bidding on e.bay and has to sell stuff on there now and then. It's a continuous cycle tee heeeee. Oh well, it keeps him out of bother.

Kicking cancers arse with the power of rock n roll sounds like a good plan to me. I zapped mine with the power of star wars. That light saber is amazing!!

Take care

Jan x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi GAS addict,

I see you have met a few of us loons already.... (there are some sensible people on here somewhere) 

I like your bandmate's plan....

Turn the amp up to 11 and blast it out I say!

and sod statistics. there are plenty of us on here who are ignoring them and kicking cancer's arse. I may give them a look when they go in my favour, until then, I look at it that I am increasing the stats for those that follow...

Your wife will get plenty of support on here if she wants to join the carers forum and you can get a lot f practical advice in the prostate forum too. Otherwise, there are random loons wandering around who are happy to chew the fat with you and offer support.  

I think being a relative/partner is often harder than having it yourself.  Mac are good to phone if she wants to talk it over with someone too.

Little My x