You never think it will happen to you.

2 minute read time.

I have always been generally healthy although prone to some quite serious illnesses, which I have always managed to recover from.  The last was opthalmic herpes, a form of shingles that starts in the eye that left me partially blind in the left eye.  Anyway I got over it and I still have one good eye.

I went to the doctor because I was experiencing dribbling after I had urinated.  I was sent for a PSA test and the doc phoned me up a week later saying my PSA was high and she was making an appointment for me to see the urologist.  She was very careful to avoid using the word Cancer as I suppose it wasn't her place to do so at that point.  My appointment came through between Chrismas and New Year and when I got to the hospital at Bromsgrove the first person I saw was the Macmillan nurse who informed me my PSA was 128 and after a quick rectal examination called the consultant across who informed me that I most likely had prostate cancer.  I am a person who does not tend to panic and accepts the cr*p that life throws at me with stoicsm and just get on with it.  Having lost my sister to cancer only a year ago I did feel a sense of great disappointment that my own life may be cut short.  I felt and continue to feel well. 

I was started on Zoldaex and am now having the usual side effects of hot flushes, lack of libido, erectile disfunction.  I have always been one who had to urinate frequently so I did not really notice anything new although the cancer must have started several months ago.

I recently had a bone scan in view of my high PSA level and this has shown that the cancer has metastised to my pelvis.  I'm shortly to see the oncologist so watch this space.

So far all doom and gloom and you don't have to look far on the net for very worrying statistics about this condition.  However, as I said I'm not one to dwell on these things and as long as I feel well I'm going to carry on doing what I enjoy.  As my username suggests I am a guitarist and I am continuing to gig with my bands. Anybody interested have a look at www.facebook.com/FabulousOffcutz and if you're in the Redditch area this week or Wyre Piddle on the 17th come along and say hello.

So far I have nothing but praise for the way I have been treated by my GP and the various hospitals I have had to visit.  The staff all work hard and do a great job.

I'll continue with my blog as things progress.  If anybody wants to get in touch please feel free.  It's not good that you're here reading this but it is good to know you're not alone and you can get support, encouragement and answers to the things that may be concerning you.

As John Lennon once said "Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans".

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Good morning and thank you for sharing your experiences.

My dad is a few years done the path you are just starting. Maybe he has been lucky but his PSA has remained low until his last blood test 2 weeks ago and he has not suffered too many side effects from his treatment.

You are definately not alone and  I have found the helpline staff to be so helpful and supportive everytime I've rung up in tears.

I've only just jjoined the forum but will try follow your blog

Sarah

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

At the moment my wife seems more upset about this than me.  Macmillan do a great job and I hope that whilst I am still fit I can help raise some money for them.  Anybody with any useful hints on helping the wives or partners cope please let me know.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hiya Guitarbilly,

Sorry you find yourself on the site that no one wants to be on!!!? I'm here 2 years post treatment for bowel cancer and lost my dad before Christmas to prostate (not wanting to be morbid to you). So kinda experienced shitty cancer as patient and carer. I have made many friends here and the support is brilliant. It's not all doom and gloom and we have a wicked sense of humour between the serious stuff. What I'm trying to say is we are there for each other in the highs and lows.

There are many groups on here and you may find it useful to join the prostate one. Do you think your wife would find support and comfort if she joined too. There's a group for carers.

You sound very positive and it's that attitude that gets us through. It's early days and a load of shit to get your head around but you and your wife will in time. Best wishes to you both and keep in touch.

By the way, I can't escape the guitar world in our house. My hubbie plays guitar and bass. We could do with a house extension to accododate all his stuff, which grows each week tee hee.

Take care

Jan x

• Just wanted to say good luck on your journey you sound like you have a very positive attitude :-) xx
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi again Guitarbilly,

Just read your status and had to pop in to say tee hee! You know i said i can't get away from guitar stuff, well I can't escape the blues either. Pure blues rock is hubbies favourite. His brother lives in Louisiana and we were lucky to visit a few years ago, Bourbon Street is amazing. I love rock myself, mostly from the good old 70's 80's. Rush and kiss are amongst my faves.

Just thought i'd share.

Take care

Jan