Bad news and what to do next.

1 minute read time.

Had my first visit to the oncologist today at the Millbrook Suite at Kidderminster.  My cancer has metastised to an area of my pelvis so as far as I can understand the only treatment option is the Zoladex and, when that ceases to be effective, chemotherapy.  This was obviously upsetting to both me and my wife and we had to go to a private room and have a bit of a weep but I've got that out of the way and need to move on.

I have been offered the Stampede clinical trial and as you know what treatment you are given is a lottery.  I am minded to go for it because of the additional monitoring that goes with it.  My wife is not so keen; I think she would rather I had a year or 18 months of not feeling too unwell rather than have the side effects of chemo or whatever additional treatment, if any, I am chosen for.  At present I feel well and am carrying on with the things I enjoy.  They've asked me to come back Monday with my decision as to whether to join Stampede so I'll have to think about it over the weekend.

In the meantime I'm playing a gig tomorrow with my band and going for a curry on Saturday so positive things to enjoy.

Anonymous
  • Hi Billy

First of all I am sorry to hear you didn't receive better news. :( My Dad was also offered the opportunity to go on to clinical trials, his prognosis wasn't too clever so he decided he would give it a go in his words "this could help others" .

I understand both sides of the decision to be made but just wanted to say that you are right in assuming that the monitoring is an added bonus.

My Dads cancer was in the lung and he was 73 so completely different to you, but an initial 4 month prognosis extended to 29 months, nobody will ever know if it was the trials but his sheer determination sure helped!

I would also like to say that my Dad managed chemo pretty well, once he got his head around taking all the drugs! He was the sort of guy who never so much as  took an aspirin!

Whatever decision you make will be the right one for you, take care

Karen xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi there Bill,

Hope the gig went well and the curry enjoyed mmmmmmmmmmm yummy!  The decision you've made today (Monday) will be the right one and you'll get your head around it and focus and move on along.

You've had the exact news and prognosis my dad got last year but perhaps due to his age 78 he wasn't offered any trials and was on the zoladex.  I do really empathise with you and your wife, it's just a huge big thing and sooooo shitty to heg your heads around, and that's putting it mildly.

If you ever want to PM me over anything at all please do.  There is plenty of support here as and when you want it.  Has your wife had a peep at Macland too, she may find it useful.  I joined the prostate and the secondary bone groups and recieved much info and support there from fellow patients and carers.

I'm so glad you are feeling well at the present and long may it continue.

Take care

Jan x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thanks to everybody for your kind words.  I've decided to go with the STAMPEDE trial.  They want to do a CT scan to check the area on my pelvis that showed up in the bone scan before I'm accepted so watch this space.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thanks to everybody for your kind words.  I've decided to go with the STAMPEDE trial.  They want to do a CT scan to check the area on my pelvis that showed up in the bone scan before I'm accepted so watch this space.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember