Testicular Cancer - my journey

• Waiting game...

FormerMember
    FormerMember

So the Glomerular Filtration Rate test was done, a boring few hours at the hospital...

1. Injection of radioactive substance (smaller dose than PET scan so no need for the metal syringe the time)

2. Return at one hour intervals for blood to be taken via cannula - two vials each time, with the last two being at half hour intervals

No big deal, just a bit boring, another day off work. Take a book / iPad / walk. 

Next day…

• Glomerular what?

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Back at Royal Sussex County Hospital yesterday to see my old friend Dr Bloomfield (kind of feels that way after being under control of the London guys at the Marsden for a while - like coming home!?). He had a look at my scar and I can't help thinking there was a tinge of disappointment in his voice when he realised I had keyhole surgery so wasn't able to show him an 'ear to ear' scar. 

He confirmed that…

• Reflections on robot RPLND...

FormerMember
    FormerMember

So it's been three weeks since my operation at the Royal Marsden and overall I've been very pleasantly surprised. I had a limited template RPLND (left side only) via laparoscopic robotic surgery and I must say the speed and ease of my recovery has been incredible! 

Rewinding a bit. As we live down on the south coast, my wife and I spent ages trying to work out the logistics of an operation in London coupled with…

• Happy Birthday to me!

FormerMember
    FormerMember

6th May and 43 years old. The TC totally ruined Christmas as this all started on 16 December, still going strong 5 months later - only difference is I'm one heck of a lot less stressed than I was at Christmas. Although this birthday wasn't to be totally without bother...

following on from our snatched conversation with Prof Nicol in the RM we had to follow up for confirmation of the op date and this supposed anaesthetist…

• Pre-Op tests and operation hi jinks

FormerMember
    FormerMember

So next step, 5th May and a trip to the Royal Marsden in London for a midday appointment for some pre-op tests. Still no date for the operation at the time of the appointment, which was annoying, assumed they would give me a date on the day. Eventually found the right ward and they took more blood (to check liver and kidney function and white blood cell/blood group), blood pressure test and lung capacity test (blow into…