Sharon0705

• Hubby nearly all clear - now have to cope with mum and dementia

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Now that my husband's treatment for leukemia is completed and we have been told he is in remission, my next hurdle is dealing with my mum who has dementia which is getting worse by the day.

Sometimes I wonder if physical problems are easier to cope with - there is treatment, it works or it doesn't but the person is still there - with dementia the person you love is no longer there in mind although the body is.…

• Update on last hurdle

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Took hubby back in last night for the final round.  He was exhausted and needed platelets, blood etc but they kept him waiting hour and half at 9.30 at night for his bed.

Lift was broken too so we had to walk up 2 flights of stairs with 4 bags so he was breathing really heavily and not feeling too good.

I hope they sorted him last night and going to see him today and taking birthday cake so hope he is feeling lots better…

• Remission

FormerMember
    FormerMember

After 5 intensive months of supporting my husband through AML, it seems the treatment is nearly complete and for all intents and purposes he is in remission.

Apart from the 1st month when he had a reaction to the strong AML trial drugs and had a heart attack, he has been remarkable.

I think his positive attitude has helped enormously, keeping his allotment, fishing, making jams for the local pub - and visiting it of…