Soapbox Sue

2 minute read time.

Hi guys

So you can probably see already  this is not going to be a pc blog.  Its just I tormented over whether to say "guys and gals" (no just too Jimmy Saville) or be more formal "Hello Ladies and Gentleman", well you get the idea so please please forgive me and no offense meant to everyone out there who may pluck up a bit of courage and read my musings.  I don't intend to do religious texts either or poetry (can only write rude limericks anyhow) or anything other than my thoughts which will be the real me giving vent to everything good and bad.

The one thing I have noticed already is that some family and friends have not even got in touch since I got diagnosed.  Are they embarrassed, probaby feeling awkward, don't know what to say etc etc.  Well let me say it for you - I HAVE CANCER.  Please come up to me and give me a hug, wish me well it really really matters.  I of course don't blame these people.  I was like that a few weeks ago myself. But now it is major and I think we need to educate people not to shy away from it or us.

Heart attacks, strokes etc and its OK but cancer gets a bad press and who can blame it.  It devastates families, and not just the patient but the carers too.  The treatment is not a cosy pill glugged down with a sip of water and the after effects can last years but the more we can bring it  into the open, one day perhaps we'll all feel able to not tippy toe around.

See, I got distracted, no wonder my wonderful husband Mark calls me "Soapbox Sue".  Well the reason I decided to pick Macmillan website to do this blog, is that my neighbour (a cancer survivor) supports them and if all my friends, family, work colleagues all read this, then it will draw them to the site and perhaps encourage them to do something for the cause.

Apart from treating this as a form of therapy, I felt I needed to redress the balance a bit. A cancer survivor friend of my daughters said "Don't read about your disease on Google".  So, yes, I immediately booted up the pc and started trawling through the statistics, pain filled experiences, deaths and it left me feeling so depressed I felt like giving up right there and then.  I don't downplay any of it but wanted to write in a more hopefully cheerful way and just maybe now and again give someone something to smile at.  I know they'll be highs and lows, tears etc along the way and it will be tough but I really do believe that being  able to laugh as well as cry is as good a medicine as you can get.

Anyhow, I never blogged before so I hope this is not too awful.  And the next time I write well it'll be the beginning of my journey .......

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

I totally agree with all that's been said.  I have even had a work colleague avert his eyes when I saw him in the bank a few weeks ago.  I even tried to catch his attention but he deliberately looked away.  Really made me feel awful.

Ive got loads of friends who ask if I would like a visitor and promise to pop round but they just dont.  Even someone I classed as my all time best friend doesn't seem to be able to fit me in to her busy schedule.  Personally I think she has to pay a lot of attention to her new man and cant fit me in.

Well it does hurt because I know if the boot was on the other foot Id be there every week to see her!

Anyway thank goodness I do have some good friends who do keep in touch and who do bother.  Everyone seems to be too busy these days to do the things that matter.

Through this horrible experience I have had the utmost support from my family and I will never be too busy in future to take time out to spend with them.  The same goes for those friends who have been there for me too!

Jane xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Wife and I were oddities , very different it seems from most, we were solitaries , had no friends and neither of us needed them, doesd not mean we did not get on with as host of aquaintances. Now I can see that was one less thing to worry about , I think people are in their ignorance terrified of this disease which we know nothing about until it hits us directly.After all how many can honestly say they cared and wanted to know about cancer until it affected them . As for family, that was different as my sister died 5 years ago some 5 years after wife was first diagnosed with the breast cancer . A disease that kills so many , and often the dying is hard , but is not  infectious is not easy to understand , I have a neighbour whos man had Alzheimers and the reaction it seems was much like that to cancer.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Well done Sue, but where are the pictures and youtube videos? On second thoughts maybe not, there are some things that are best kept under wraps. See you at the weekend. Love and hugs from the Letcombe Posse.  

P.S. Keep your lap free as Evie is very free with her hugs and is quite insistent that she gets gets cuddles.