My dad is my hero

Less than one minute read time.

We took my dad into hospital for a biopsy 2 weeks ago as he had a lump under his arm, the following week he had a ct scan and xmas eve we got the news. The news couldn't be much worse. My dad has lung cancer and it has already spread. He has been told (i cant believe im writing this) without treatment he only has a matter of weeks and with treatment he may have up to 12 months IF it works. I dont know what to say/do, i am falling apart inside but outside trying to be strong for dad,mum and my bro and sis and also my own 3 adorable babies. i feel like im suffocating.The worst thing is 49 year old dad doesn't feel ill he doesn't look ill, he is just a bit tired as we all are none of us are sleeping properly. Everyone keeps saying be strong, stay positive but how? i am really trying but god inside im dying. I really don't know what to do. was told on xmas eve my dad is going to die,  Please help me before i break.xxxxx

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

The lung cancer nurses at our hospital would defo meet up with you, they need permission from your dad to talk about his case in any detail, but to be honest they would be still able to advise you on a general level. They also do home visits.  Am sure that this is offered at most hospitals? If not, it bloody should be!

Graeme is talking a lot of sense, and he is a patient, so he understands much more that either of us 2. Although I do hate it when men are right.......lol!! Only kidding, Graeme x

Take care, gotta go and entertain my 6 year old, all those Christmas pressies but he has nothing to do!!!

Talk later,

Lou x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Pink Vickie,Lou and Graeme have just

given you the best advice you could ask

for. I was a cancer nurse for many years

and i can say with hand on my heart that

no Doctor can be 100per cent certain

how long someone with cancer has to

live. It depends on the cancer, the

treatment, a persons state of mind, all

these things contribute  to a person's prognoses, and i know a lot of

people with cancer hate the word positive

but the mind is a great tool in its self,and

Positive attitude has worked wonders.

You are in shock after the news of your

Dads illness, its a scary time for you all,

but seek out your dads Macmillan nurse

most people are given there own Mac Nurse after being diagnosed, she is

there to help the family as well as your

dad. Keep coming to Macland if you need to rant and rave, people here are

going or have gone thru what you are

now and you will get so much support.

Love and Hugs Lucy Lee. xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Lucy,Graeme and lou, thankyou so much for all your advice. I am going to ask about a macmillan nurse . My dad has decided to be positive and enjoy every minute so if he can i guess i have to. If we break he will too so i have to be strong for him. He has just called to say he and mum are picking the kids up tomorrow and taking them to the river and to play on the park. He is perfectly well at the moment but i know in 2 weeks when the treatment starts it could be very different so we are going to have fun with the kids this week while they are off school. Thanks guys you are becoming my rock.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Dear Pinkvicki, you are most welcome,

and its great your dad is being positive,

let him lead the way and you be there

to follow him on his journey, it wont be

an easy ride at times, but if you all

fight this enemy together you have a

good chance of slowing it down. There's

strength in numbers so march on.

With Love Lucy Lee. xxx

• FormerMember