a really horrible day

1 minute read time.

Hi, I don't know where i am going with this but i guess i just need to 'type it out'

I have had a really tough day today.

Mum and I met with the lady from the fund-raising fund for the leukaemia  ward that dad was treated on throughout his cancer journey. We raised £1095 for them from donations at dads funeral. It was a fantastic amount and the woman (pauline) was delighted, the money goes straight back into the ward not into the hospital funds.

They also have a charity shop for the ward too so mum and dad ad agreed that all of his clothes etc would go there so that the ward still benefits.

This morning mum and i put dads things into bags ready to take to them, i was instantly upset just by moving his stuff i could smell him. Mum was crying too as we were folding things and i begged her not to do it, it hasn't even been 3 months and i felt that it was too soon for her to make such a huge step. She said if she didn't do it now she never would......i had to put the bags in the car and also had to take them from the car to the shop.

Mum and i got back in the car and just cried. 

I feel like i want to go and buy them all back, i know she didn't  give them everything she has kept lots but it hurts so much.

I feel so sick now this hurts so so much.

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Vicki

Yes it must of been so hard for you and your Mum today - but maybe you will get some satisfaction from knowing you have done what your Dad wanted.

As well as the fantastic amount raised at the funeral,  Your Dad is still in his way contibuting something back to the ward where he was so well cared for when it was needed and therfore helping others that are now in the position he was in.

The main thing is your Dad will always be with you in your heart and in your happy memories of him and nothing can change that.

Hugs Mate

John xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi.  It is awful to have to go through things.  I suppose I was lucky. We cleared out my mums' house when she moved in with me after becoming to ill to look after herself.  We had a good laugh at the time and she was happy that she was still with us to give things away that meant anything to her.  Although my daughters and myself were a bit teary we got thru it for her sake.   She was with us at home when she passed away 2 weeks ago.  Now its just the things that she had around her that made it feel like home.  That is bad enough.   But glad that we made the earlier decision...  I really miss her and even though I have put some things away she is still everywhere ....God it is hard....  God bless.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi such an emotional time for you and your mum.  We don't ever want to part with anything belonging to our parents, it just hurts and is just not right.

My mum could never look at parting with any of my Dad's things and when mum was so ill and had to go into the nursing home I had to sell her bungalow to help pay the fees and was faced with both of their belongings.  the times I just sat there and cried in between taking things to the charity shops etc.  I know how you feel and it really does hurt.

An amazing amount you raised, so proud of you.

Denise. xx

• Hi Vicki

Just wanted to say thinking of you big Hugs

Kay

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

oh, sorry Vicki, really hard and just glad you and mum had each other to lean on.  What a difficult day; but what an achievement on the amount of money raised  at your Dad's funeral for such a worthy cause; just shows how well loved your Dad was by everyone.  

Hugs

Nic xx