pallative care, what does it mean exactly pls

Less than one minute read time.

hi all. hope you can help me, my lovely best friend has a rare sarcome cancer in her stomach and we have now found out it hasnt responded to chemo, it has grown.

it has grown rapidly over 2 months so the chemo has been stopped, she's on  2 hourly morphine and cannot face eating, extremely tired, on oxygen but trying to be chatty when we visit.

i got to the hospital today and her daughters were saying someone had been  in to chat to them about pallative care and how to prepare for her dying, I didnt want to ask what it meant  or how long she has left as didnt want to upset them or myself

so can someone please tell me does pallative care mean the end is imminent, as if so i would like to spend more time with her just holding her hand and letting her know how loved she is. 

also would it be best for her to know or let her think she has a life ahead of her

please hope there's an answer from some one thank you

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

I don't think there is a definitive answer that anyone on the site will be able to give you unfortunatlely. Palliative care seems to mean as my doctor said "the aim is to give you as long a life and as good a quality of life as possible". Although he did not say it directly I took this to mean that my cancer was terminal, wrote my will, paid for my funeral, now I am on the 7th of 12 chemos and, I have to say the qulatiy has been good. but I know full well that this is not true for everyone. Sounds as if your friend is having a much harder time. all you can hope for is that they will be able to control the pain and give her as long as possible.to be with you.

Keep on the site maybe someone can give you a more definitive answer.

One thing you can be sure of - you will get a lot of support from people on here.

Mike

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Palliative care steps in when a condition is seen as being no longer 'curable'. It does not mean always mean the patient is no longer treatable, it means that rather than actively fighting the disease the emphasis shifts towards maintaining as a good a quality of life for the patient as is achievable. Any treatment provided will be for the control of symptoms such as pain relief etc, and sometimes even palliative chemo/radio treatment. My mum's active treatment was stopped as far back as 20 months ago, although I do have to say she was in better health than your friend. Palliative care is as much about the patients wishes and spiritual wellbing as it is about the medical side of things. If her family have discussed things with a professional it is likely they will have asked about her wishes as to where she wants to be when the time comes (hospital, hospice, home) and they will all they can to make sure that is achieved. Usually by the nature of the job they do these people are angels amoung the most respected and admired by the professionals they work with and the patients and their relatives. I hope that helps and to you and her family I send love and strength for a difficult time ahead. Spend as much time with her as you can, a rota of visiting with family can be useful.

Diane x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi  Faye007,

I can only echo the comments in the 2 previous posts. Any indication as to how long someone has is a guess at best and can be wildly inaccurate, as has been said the use of palliative care is not an indication of immediate death.

I hope the care given to you friend eases the need for heavy medication and extents her time. Spend what time you can with her, she will so glad of the company

I would caution against advising your friend of the news, each person reacts different to the news and at this stage and you do not really have any firm information to give her. Maybe better to just honestly answer any questions she raises.

Hugs

J xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Faye, I also agree totally with the previous comments. Palliative care is put in place to make sure all of the patient's needs are met, pain relief, comfort etc etc.

As for telling her that she is terminally ill is a personal choice. Some people prefer to know, others don't. Only your friend's family will be able to say whether they think she could cope with that news. Personally I wouldn't want to know. My dad was the same when he was diagnosed with cancer last year, he asked me to speak to the doctors and let them know he didn't want to know timescales or anything.

Wishing you, your friend and her family all the very best.

Christine xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Faye,

John somes up pallitive care in a simple honest way

Just be there for her if she needs you.It will not be easy for you. Look after yourself.

Take care and be safe Big Hugs Love Sarsfield.xx