Radiotherapy - One Week Later

Less than one minute read time.
Radiotherapy - One Week Later

It's been a week since the daily trek to the hospital and I'm reflecting on the side effects of radiotherapy.

On the plus side, the skin has coped well and isn't red or sore, no fatigue (yet) and I have been working normally, in fact it's been crazy busy at work. We had a weekend away in the campervan making the most of this amazing October weather and I've travelled for work. All good.

On the down side, my boob is still tender to touch and there are a few unusual lumps and bumps. The nurse said not to be concerned about this (yet) but it's really difficult not to worry about  the slightest lump though I know radiotherapy can change the shape and cause some swelling. We'll see how this is in a few more days.

Radiotherapy was my last major milestone of treatment, though a variety of other bits and pieces continue. I still haven't felt that emotional “wow, it's over” relief and perhaps I never will. I have dealt with this whole thing in my usual pragmatic and logical way, maybe I'll deal with coming out of it with the same attitude. In the meantime….back to work!

Anonymous
  • Hi, I went back 5 weeks after surgery and I could have gone back earlier, but to be very honest, I had booked the time, and the team were in place to cover so I stuck to the planned 5 weeks and took vacation. I did have to move my diary around to fit when radiotherapy started and simply had to cancel or rearrange some things.  The hospital were pretty good at giving me the earliest appointments each day that they could do it was fairly consistent and everyone at work was very understanding.  do you have that flexibility in your job?

• I've been listening to Table Manners which is about food, there are loads of them. Jessie Ware  (whose a singer) and her mum invite various celebrities around to their house and cook them a meal and chat.it's so funny. 

Also (which may not interest you) Happy Mum, Happy Baby which is Giovanna Fletcher talking to celebrities about birth and babies. I loved listening to women talking about this - Davinna Macall was hilarious. She has a few dads talking too, just easy listening. Maybe not your thing though.

Ilisten to audio books via my local library because they're free. Quite by Claudia Winkleman  is good Christopher Ecclestons was good too. 

• Thanks a lot, will give some of these a go, table manners sounds good

• That’s great that the hospital were that accommodating with times for you.

My work have been really accommodating but from what I hear radio can be a large part of the day which makes me think it won’t work for me. I feel like I’m taking the mick (which I don’t want to do) even though work have been brilliant! 

I’ve been off work 5 weeks now and I’m dying to get back but the not knowing when radio will start is stopping me as I don’t want to stop and start with work, 

Thanks again for all the information hope you are keeping well. 

• What do you do for work ? And apologies if I’ve asked before…