Charlatans and Saviours

3 minute read time.

I've woken up in a shocking mood which is at least in part down to the fact I have woken up myself (and himself) this morning by rolling over in my sleep and headbutting HP. Just in case you are thinking of giving this a go, I wouldn't recommend it as a romantic way to start the day. Not unless you are a couple of masochists anyway, in which case knock yourself out. Maybe even literally.

I was also annoyed at myself because I made it all the way to work before remembering I had an appointment so had to immediately leave and then I lucked out and got the smelly man sitting next to me on the bus. 

The other reason I am irritated today is that I woke up to another 'miracle cure' message. Apparently getting cancer suddenly gives people the right to invade your space, your email and your head with their thoughts about what caused it and/or how to cure it.

Let me make myself clear. I strongly believe faith is good, whether you believe in religion, science, herbal remedies, aliens or fae folk at the bottom of the garden. It doesn't matter what you believe in as long as you aren't hurting anyone or judging anyone for having a different opinion. Faith in something allows people to get on with life without the nagging question of ' why ' playing on your mind. 

Unfortunately I also strongly believe that you shouldn't force your beliefs on anyone else nor should you use them to frighten them in times of stress. So far I've been told I got cancer because:

1) I stopped going to church. 

2) I own a mobile phone.

3) I don't pray enough. 

4) I'm not eating organic food. 

5) I live in sin.

6) I'm not a vegan.

7) I live in a city.

8) I'm not taking an amazing group of vitamins and supplements that could be mine for just £59.95.

9) I was a murderer in a past life.

10) I must have rubbish genetics. 

11) I don't drink mineral water exclusively.

12) I use bleach.

13 ) I've dyed my hair.

14) I don't eat cabbage.

15) I haven't had children.

16) I no longer wear a crucifix. 

Personally I'm only inclined to believe number 10 and that's my perogative. Last week my grandmother (Catholic family remember) told me God was reaching out and touching me while I slept and this is what would make me better. As a side note, it's not helpful in this situation to reply with 'That was God? Blimey I wondered why HP had gotten so fidgety all of a sudden'. She also told me God spoke to her and said if I prayed he'd save me. I can accept this most of the time because I appreciate she believes it. She falls entirely into the Saviour bracket and whilst I lost my faith in a deity quite some time ago I don't think it does any harm as long as you aren't giving me the 'you've been cursed with the plagues' speech just because I don't share your ideas. You'd think I was crazy if I told you all illnesses were caused by tiny Gods that created a universe in jam and they're so angry at humans for eating it that they've made it their mission to destroy us. I wouldn't blame you either. 

Anyway that is nothing compared to the charlatans. The people who suddenly have decided to tell me that conventional medicine isn't the answer. They've got the right combination of herbs and vitamins to get it away naturally. Medicine is just a lie. In the words of Tim Minchin - do you know what they call natural remedies that work? MEDICINE! Yes fine, tell me to use vitamins as well if you like. Tell me about the natural spring water that changed your life. Tell me about the chinese medicine guy on the high street that cured you or your special raw food diet. I've no doubt there will be some truth in what you say but don't tell me to use it instead!

It was one of those messages that made me angry today because it does worry me. My grandfather almost didn't have his triple heart bypass because he'd been targeted by someone who told hhima specific vegetarian diet would reverse the damage in his heart. He wouldn't listen to us and try both. It didn't work and in the end he had it after he'd deteriorated. Spouting that kind of stuff can be dangerous. 

Of course I am a hypocrite. It is only my opinion.

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Blimey, and there was me worried that religions were invented to decrease the worlds population and only sinners 'feel' the need to go to church (my bad)  :-)

Luv ya blogs Loubylou - G n' J

Bit before your time methinks ? LOL

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I think you're probably right about the sinners - this was also the same grandmother who told me she gave me a ring she stole from a dead alcoholic, made her living through serial marriage and bought two boyfriends with her to lunch last time I was at home. And I'm the one living in sin!

Aww I love Andy Pandy! You're right it had finished before my time but my mum had a watch with mother tape that I watched when I was little so there were hours of Andy Pandy and the wooden tops! :) xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember
    When I was put in hospital for a couple of weeks nearing the end of my treatment, I was at rock bottom. As far as I was concerned the end was nigh, and I could not take any more. I was brought up in a very Christian household so have always had faith, but even this had left me. In my locker in hospital was a Gideons bible, you remember, the ones they give you at junior school and leave in dodgy hotel rooms!! (yes I have been in a few dodgy hotels!). Well I started reading it, and somewhere in the dark recess of my mind the gloom started to lift, and a little bit of hope crept in. How and why I don't know, but it saved my life and stopped me doing something silly. A friend gave me a 'pocket guardian angel' which I take everywhere, and even managed to sneak it into theatre with me! I dont know if it helps, but it certainly makes me feel more positive! So if it works go with it. Another one of my Mac friends said a relative said to her she had cancer because she dyed her hair!! (no 13 unlucky for some!) And my stupid but well meaning mother in law keeps sending me emails about lemons being better than chemo! God I wish I had known that one a couple of years ago. The medical profession will be pleased!! She knows its true because her elderly sister in Norfolk told her it was! And I DO eat cabbage, I DO have children (well only one!), I DO pray a lot, I DO eat organic food and I DO wear a crucifix, well most days except the ones where I put on a rather nice antique silver filigree heart in its place, and yet the 'C' beast still got me!!! Oh yes, and I DO love Andy Pandy and crew :-))) xxxx
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Haha you can't knock a Gideons bible. I myself, still have the bible I was given as a child, complete with rainbow illustrations and a Jesus that now I'm an adult looks too much like a member of the Bee Gees to be a coincidence.

I didn't mean to stop believing. I accidentally lost my faith when I couldn't reconcile in my head how a God would allow all the awful things I saw in the world (natural or otherwise) and not intervene when he'd gone all vengeful and set Noah on Ark building duty. That's not to say I think it's any less likely as an explanation for mankind than anything else. I just decided I was more comforted by the idea it was random. That said, I've caught myself apologising to God when times get tough and if it works for you then that's all that matters. I think a strong belief in something really holds a lot of power for good and like I say I find the religious reasoning far easier to understand than the rest of the stuff. If cancer was fixable with a course of vitamins for £59.95 why aren't they more expensive and why doesn't everyone know about this miracle?! Pah! xxxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember
    Lol, you sure its not because you mean to andypandy I know what you mean when i was diagnosed and since its been cancer this cancer that, I think its always been there but prior to july 2012 i would filter it out and not notice it. But still think you should patch it up with andy pandy or at least get him some knew PJs