Neuroendocrine Cancer Awareness

• Living with an incurable cancer – does mind over matter help?

When I started blogging in 2014, it was relatively easy - all I needed to do was to talk about my experience to help raise awareness of Neuroendocrine Cancer; then talk about my hike along Hadrian's Wall for a local Charity.  The blog was only ever intended to be a temporary supporting tool for the walk and its build up; but I was persuaded by good reviews and viewing numbers to keep it going.  That suddenly made it…

• Carcinoid – don’t break my heart!

Last week the papers seemed to be full of cancer stories and one that particularly caught my eye was that cancer had climbed to second place on the list of the world’s biggest killer diseases. The statistics were captured between 1990 and 2013 with smoking, obesity and living longer apparently contributing to the rise. Heart disease still has the top spot.  It got me thinking about how unlucky it would be to succumb…

• Please flush after use!

In the past 12 months, I've read so many stories about the quite natural act of using a toilet (some more repeatable than others), I think if there was a Bachelor of Science degree in Toiletry, I would pass with First Class Honours.

I jest clearly but it's strange that such a routine activity for most can actually become quite scientific in the world of my own type of Cancer - Neuroendocrine Tumours.  I suspect…

• What is your new normal?

Cancer isn’t always a one-time event. It can be a chronic (ongoing) illness, much like diabetes or heart disease. Cancer can be closely watched and treated, but sometimes it never completely goes away. The cancer may be 'controlled' with treatment, meaning it might seem to go away or stay the same, and it doesn’t grow or spread as long as you are getting appropriate treatment. Sometimes the treatment shrinks…

• Always thank your Nurse – sometimes they’re the only one between you and a hearse!

As it’s International Nurse day, thought I’d lead today’s blog with a plug for Nurses.  In the past 5 years, I’ve met so many wonderful nurses I suspect I almost count some of them as my friends!

I had minimal exposure to nurses throughout my army career.  I did spend a night in hospital when I was 16 having been knocked unconscious in the boxing ring (I did warn my Sergeant that just because I…