Neuroendocrine Cancer Awareness

• In the news: Neuroendocrine Tumour Drug in Trial – Cabozantinib

What is Cabozantinib?

Cabozantinib is an oral drug which works by blocking the growth of new blood vessels that feed a tumour. In addition to blocking the formation of new blood cells in tumours, Cabozantinib also blocks pathways that may be responsible for allowing cancers cells to become resistant to other “anti-angiogenic” drugs. It is a type of drug called a growth blocker.  Cabozantinib has been studied…

• Road ahead closed – Bowel Obstructions

bowel-obstruction-npf

OK – we’ve gone through diagnosis, we’ve gone through treatment and now we need to live with the consequences of cancer and it’s treatment.  Not a day goes by when I don’t feel some twinge or some minor pain and I think ‘what was that?‘.  Fortunately, many things can just be day-to-day niggles. It’s the cancer …. easy to say, sometimes not easy to prove.  However, for Neuroendocrine Tumour (NET) patients who have…

• Endoscopy for NETs – taking the camera to the tumour

endoscopy

An Endoscopy is a procedure where the inside of your body is examined using an instrument called an endoscope. This is a long, thin, flexible tube that has a light source and camera at one end. Images of the inside of your body are relayed to a television screen. Endoscopes can be inserted into the body through a natural opening, such as the mouth and down the throat, or through the bottom.  The mouth route is more accurately…

• Things not to say to someone with cancer (featuring Macmillan Cancer)

things-not-to-say

Graphics courtesy of https://emilymcdowell.com/

This topic comes up regularly on patient forums, twitter, Facebook….. in fact everywhere!  Personally, I don’t tend to get too excited about it, although there can be extremes.  Most people (not all) are just stumped to know exactly what to say.  Even as a person with cancer, I sometimes feel awkward when faced with someone I just found out has a serious illness…

• 25 Life Lessons From a Two-Time Cancer Survivor

25-life-lessons-morro-bay

Sometimes, a blog post comes along and it just resonates!  This was one I found via some new friends in Anti-Cancer Club (check it out – sign up for their newsletter). I got chatting with the author who has given me permission to post it here.  Shari Berman is a two-time cancer survivor. She was diagnosed with Hodgkin’s Lymphoma at age 25, days after returning from her honeymoon and a second time with breast can…