My Partner Has Breast Cancer - Our Story

• Thank you for all your good wishes and thoughts

FormerMember
    FormerMember

I haven't been able to reply to everyone individually who has commented on my blog posts and has sent good wishes.

I have found, and I am still finding, writing this blog to be a real help to me. It may sound strange but just writing about what we are going through... what Sally is going through... is so helpful to me, but for some reason it is. I find that in having to think about our experiences I also have to try…

• Cycle 4 Starts

FormerMember
    FormerMember

The past few days has been quiet on the blog because we managed to get a few days away in the caravan. These days are a great way for us to relax and recharge our batteries ready for the next cycle of fun!

Sal went to the hospital ths morning for her pre-chemo blood test. Her Hickman line wouldn't allow the taking of blood so they had to get it via a vein again. This time they didn't have any problem though and all went…

• Cycle 3 Review

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Sal and I went to the hospital this morning for her normal review of progress so I thought I would bring you all up to date.

This cycle has gone pretty much to plan. Symptoms this time include slight nose bleeds, breathlessness, nausea, bad tastes, fatigue, trouble sleeping. Nothing too disabling or troublesome but they decided that Sal should have a chest x-ray today just to check.

Sal had a head CT scan last week…

• A drop of the Red Stuff

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Sal is in hospital all day today receiving 2 units of blood. She has been breathless almost all the time since starting chemo and her Hb count was down to 9 at her last chemo bloods (normal is 12-16!). It is not that unusual for someone on chemo to need red cells, full blood or platelets so it isn't anything to be concerned about... it is just another full day at the hospital for Sal unfortunately.

Each unit takes…

• Chemo 3 Day

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Chemo 3 went without a hitch this morning. Sal is already feeling the effects; starting to feel tired, funny taste in her mouth.

They did notice that Sal's red count is down so she is anaemic and that might explain her breathlessness and excessive fatigue. So they have scheduled a full blood transfusion of 2 units on Monday. Even that is a bit of an ordeal. Each unit takes 3 hours and so it will turn out to be a long…