Monday July 12th - The good day was short lived!

2 minute read time.

After mum doing so well yesterday, today she has become increasingly nauseous.  She is surviving on a couple of slices of bread and a muller rice every day.  She won't drink the fortisip and is extremely fed up.  I feel so helpless and just don't know what to do.

Her blood results showed that her potassium level was a tiny bit low but Christine says not enough for it to be causing any problems.  Everything else was fine.  She spoke to mum this morning and, at the time, mum felt ok but by the time I got in from work she felt really nauseous.  She is also tired but is not sleeping well and her legs feel weak, hardly surpising given how little she's eaten recently.

I phoned Christine when I got in and she said there was nothing to worry about re: the potassium but that she had sent the results to mums GP and that he may decide to give her a potassium supplement.  She said it was 0.3 below what it should be but it was something that fluctuated.  Having read about potassium it seems poor diet can cause this, so again, no surprise there as she is not eating a balanced diet, that's for sure.  Christine said mum had said she felt ok this morning so I clarified that she had felt progressively nauseous as the day had gone on.  She thinks mum would benefit from going back on steroids but said last time she mentioned it mum didn't seem keen.  So she said she would ring the GP tonight and get mum some steroids and would check with Dr Mehta whether mum could take them until we get back from Spain as they normally only like people to take them for two weeks.  She says she doesn't think it'll be a problem.

I feel so sorry for mum.  She's sitting here now and it's obvious she is feeling really sickly.  She keeps rubbing her tummy but when I ask her if it's sore she says it just feels 'yucky'.  She's never actually been sick but says sometimes she feels she might feel better if she was.  She says she's going to get the Doctor in again tomorrow as she can't go on like this.  The trouble is the GP is useless and I don't have any faith in him sorting this out. 

I wonder if the anti sickness meds are no longer working and need changing but I forgot to say that to Christine.  If she could get the nausea under control she would eat and that, in turn, would make her feel stronger.  I've made up my mind to take the day off tomorrow so that I can be here when the Doctor comes as I think sometimes mum just gives him half a story.  Anyway sorry for the rant but today has not been a good day!

PS Mum has metaclopramide for sickness but they no longer seem to work.  Anyone had anything that worked for them? 

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Caroline...just a thought...and im sure you will have thought of it too...but could your mum be constipated?...that would make her feel sick and not want to eat..some people may open their bowels just a little bit and deny that theyre constipated..but if its backing up in there it will make you nauseous and miserable. Hope your mum feels better soon...take care Love Sharon xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Caroline,

When mum was nauseous the GP prescribed Ondansetron and it worked for mum.  My mum also has the fortisip (juice version) and what I do is water it down with lemonade throughout the day, and she is ok with it then.  

Hope you get things sorted for your mum today.

Take care

Nic x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

So sorry that your mum is feeling so nauseous and doesn't feel like eating. I think steroids might be a good idea as they always make me feel better and hungry! I take Dexamethazone before and after chemo.

As for anti-sickness, I too had Metoclopromide which was fine but now use Domperidone.

Hope that something is sorted out quickly so that your mum feels much better and you can have a wonderful time in Spain.

Very best wishes,

Love lizzie xx