declining chemo

1 minute read time.

well i am not sure why i am having chemo, and have decided that unless the docs can give me a good reason why i need it i wont be having it, i have been reading up on it and all those toxins invading my body, put me right off, i can effect all your organs, plus your bone marrow, you open to infection and if ya have bad veins (they cant get a line in) they put you under general to fit a line which stays there for the time of your treatment, well i want all that, i am already struggling to sleep on my left side, if they put a line in i wil only have my back to sleep, so there goes the sleep!

i am phoning the breast nurse tonmorrow for more facts, they say i have 30% risk of it coming back because i had vasciular spread but it was contained and nothing inthe nodes so why am i having it? i do wonder if its just the automatic step they stick you on, op, chemo, radio...next! well i want answers before i agree

if anyone on here has had a line fitted i would grateful to hear how it felt, how easy it was to live3 with, etc...also if anyone else has declined chemo.....

your thoughts would be appreciated, its a hard one, if i take it and out the toxins in, wil it make me worse in a bodily sense, i have ME so whats the risk of me having a decline with that, if i dont have it will i be silly, and risking my life!!!!

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Lots of love to you whatever you decide.

x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hello Wendy - firstly can I say we all appreciate how scary it is when you are facing chemo - its not easy because no-one knows how you will react. However I do think chemo is worth considering - it is your belt and braces for the future! My cancer came back after being told it was highly unlikely to - Im not trying to scare you but what I want you to consider is - alobng the line IF your cancer did come back how would you feel if you hadnt had the chemo? Modern drugs are pretty efficient at counteracting the side effects you may (or may not) have - Chemo lasts a very short period of your life but it nmay be the insurance you need to secure your future. I would make a ppoint of asking for the scalp cooler if losing your hair is an issue - it worked wel for me! Dont hink you can;t do it - you can ! I am sure everyone will support you through it! Please dont think I am preaching - its just the fewer people who end up in my position the better and chemo could be the key factor ! Meaning well - Love Jools xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Wendy, I didn't have lymph node involvement either but was advised by my consultant that I would have chemo to mop up any stray cells that may be too small to be detected on any scans. Like Jools says it was a sort of life insurance.

I also was told that I had a 25-30% chance of recurrence but with radiotherapy that risk would be reduced to 2-4% so I took everything that was offered to me.

I was diagnosed with M.E. after treatment, so we seem to have a lot in common.

Obviously, like others have said chemotherapy has to be a personal choice, but also like a lot of others on this site, I didn;t find it nearly as bad as I had anticipated.

I wish you all the very best with whatever you decide.

Christine xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hello Wendy

I have a portacath - it's high up in my chest wall, so doesn't interfere with my sleeping on either side!  It also needs less maintenance than other lines - just  flushing once a month, and this is done when I go for chemo.  I opted for this rather than a picc or hickman line as it will stay in situ when I finish treatment, so will be ready next time my cancer returns.  I love it - the joy of not having to play hunt the vein on each trip to the hospital or surgery!  Of course, whether or not to  have chemo has to be your decision - all I can say is that I agree with Jools.  I've had it twice and won't hesitate to have it again next time I relapse. And my portacath will be ready and waiting.  Good luck with your decision.

Hugs, Kate xxx

• I cant say whether you should or shouldnt have Chemo but I just had to wish you luck what ever you decide.

Love Mavis