My Breast Cancer Story

• Diagnosis Confirmed

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Yep, it's definitely NP and LS with some vascular problem too!! I asked the dermatologist if he could put me on immunosuppressants, but no. He claims he didn't want to put me on those because of my cancer!! I pointed out that my rheumatologist will have to start me on them when I go to see her, as my RA has become more active. His answer astounded me. He's quite happy for her to give me something like Methotrexate, but…

• What About This Itching Then?

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Well, well, I had an appointment with my respiratory consultant the other week. She saw how red and sore my legs were and declared that she thought I might have cellulitis, so prescribed me some Flucloxacillin. She mentioned some blood tests which I told her I thought I'd had. She had a look through my notes and found Nodular Prurigo and Lichen Simplex. The dermatologist hasn't told me this yet, so next Wednesday (13th…

• Reflections

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Since I was first diagnosed with breast cancer in 2012, I've felt a bit of a fraud. When my OH told people "Oh, she's battling cancer". I thought "Am I?" It didn't feel like a battle. People with cancer usually looked frail and gaunt,. Their skin was pale and it was obvious they were ill. Apart from bearing a scar that spread halfway across my chest, and a 'dead' patch beneath my arm where I had lymph nodes removed, I…

• New Horizons

FormerMember
    FormerMember

So much has happened over the last few months. My oncologist referred me to the dermatology department to see if they can get to the bottom of my (still) itchy problem. After a couple of appointment including a punch biopsy, they have decided that it isn't a skin problem at all, but a vascular one. So I'm still using emollients and occasionally steroid cream, but also wearing flight socks and doing toe walking, foot and…

• A Valentine Lost.

FormerMember
    FormerMember

On Friday May 16th, I lost one of my February Valentines. Sandra was one of the key members of our small band when we were undergoing chemotherapy - and now she is gone. Thankfully she was at home, surrounded by her family and a Macmillan nurse. She was sedated, but soon slipped into a coma. Our hearts go out to her very close and loving family. It is devastating to we Vals too, as we can only think "What if?" Sandra…