I love my missus

1 minute read time.

My wife has done so well with her fight against breast cancer.  She has been braver than I can ever imagine someone could be.  She has had breast cancer, treated with surgery a couple of times, chemo, radiotherapy and now hormone therapy.  I think she is finding this last one the hardest as she struggles to sleep which is a torture in itself.

Even though I have lived with her through her experience I still have no idea what it must be like.  The mental battle has perhaps been harder than the physical one.

I love her very much; we have a 10 year old son who is an inspiration in himself!  She has not found it easy to talk to me about how she feels which leaves me with anxiety about how her cancer has changed our relationship.

If I look simply at the signs - how she is with me - then I sense she no longer has any affection for me.  I have struggled to talk to her about this for fear of annoying or upsetting her, or, I suppose, of learning some truths that I do not want to hear.  And so I feel like I am married to cancer and have lost my wife.

Last night I asked her if we could try to talk about our relationship with a counsellor.  I hope she will agree to this.

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Pete,

Yes Liz says it all. I wish you and your wife all the best for the future,and hope everything works out.

Take care and be safe Sarsfield..

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hello Pete, just read  your blog.  Agree with Liz but wanted to say cancer really is a lonely business - I have had left mastectomy, lymph node removal and now have fat arm which is painful at times.  I don't doubt your wife loves you - she would have said so by now - cancer has a way of making us speak openly.  However, I feel totally unattractive since breast cancer and totally un-sexy.   I have told my husband that no matter what the best thing that ever happened to me was him and my daughter and I am happy just to be here.  He loves me too and it has been very hard for him - he's just shut down.  But he's still here and love/marriage isn't just about sex.  It's about facing the tough times.  I hope you can both speak openly together and give her time - she needs reassurance from you that you still love her very much and cuddles really are the best.  Good luck to you all and I hope you all come through this episode stronger.  God bless, Ann x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thank you again for your responses.  Every individual has a unique response to a challenge but all of your help is valuable to me.  I love my missus very much; I want to understand why she doesn't want me to touch her but I think she is positive about trying counselling and trying to talk more.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Pete, I know it must be hard but hang in there and always be there for her and 'fight' for her. Help her fight her daily battles, look after her as your love is very precious. If you can go out on a 'date' and make her feel special and laugh. If you can get her to laugh thats always a good sign.

I wish you both the very best.

Kaz x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Pete, I know it must be hard but hang in there and always be there for her and 'fight' for her. Help her fight her daily battles, look after her as your love is very precious. If you can go out on a 'date' and make her feel special and laugh. If you can get her to laugh thats always a good sign.

I wish you both the very best.

Kaz x