madmadge

• John MIGHT be coming home! But I'm scared!

FormerMember
    FormerMember

John had a really good day yesterday.  He was pain and nausea free for the first time. 

They've applied a patch behind his ear which seems to be controlling the nausea (fingers crossed).  I can't remember the name of the patch but it controls motion sickness and, since he feels nauseous every time he changes position or moves, it sounds absolutely perfect for him.  It is changed every three days so much better than…

• Very quick update

FormerMember
    FormerMember

It's very late and I've been in the MacMillan Unit all day.  John was taken in this morning because he is so poorly.  The Mac Nurse told me she can't guarantee that he will come home again.  I'm sorry this is such a blunt message but I'm very tired and still in a state of shock.  Got very little sleep last night and haven't eaten much.  I just wanted to tell all my wonderful friends that I won't be…

• How I wish I'd never taken my 'ordinary' life for granted.

FormerMember
    FormerMember

In case anyone's wondering how we are I'm just writing a few lines to let you know.  The days are passing us by and it's just a whirl of nurses and drugs, drugs and nurses, etc, etc.  My head's all over the place so please don't blame me if none of this makes sense.

John has had many visits over the past few days from District and Mac Nurses, and a Mac Consultant, to monitor his pain and sickness.  They…

• How much more can he take?

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Sorry to be so full of doom and gloom, AGAIN.  Believe me I would be much happier posting good news but it just seems to be getting worse and worse.

John is having so much pain and sickness this morning that he's absolutely exhausted.  The Mac Nurse came yesterday and upped his pain meds, yet again!  He's now on 60mg Oxycontin twice daily, paracetamol and 1.5ml of the higher strength Oxynorm when required.  He's…

• Our meeting with the Oncologist

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Well, we made it to the hospital by dosing John up with pain killers and anti-nausea pills.  He was retching again this morning because he was dreading the appointment and feeling absolutely wiped out by the time we got there.  His daughter met us there and we eventually went in only half an hour late.

The oncologist saw him personally although the appointment letter had stated that he was only seeing the registrar.  To…