Why I've been away from the site

1 minute read time.

Wednesday, 25th August 2010

Logging onto macmillan tonight made me realise I've been away for quite a long time and I wanted to try to explain to all my friends my reasons.

It may seem odd to you all, especially when we had such marvellous news after John's half way scan that his tumour had virtually disappeared, and I can't really explain it myself.

John is still undergoing chemotherapy treatment but there is only one more session to go.  However, the side effects have increased in severity and he is virtually housebound for most of the time now.  As a consequence he has become more and more touchy and takes it out on me which is having a bad effect on my mental state.  I feel guilty about leaving him for any period of time so I am stuck at home too. 

I've virtually given up on my hobbies and my friends and only get out of the house when i take my little dog for a walk.

I think I've been suffering a mild form of depression and its only recently that I've started to feel better. 

I feel guilty about staying away because I know we've been much luckier than many other people on this site.  Perhaps that's a reason too - feeling guilty about the good results.

Any way, I'm going to make an effort to come back and try to be of some support to all the wonderful people on this site. 

I hope you'll forgive me.

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Good to see you back Madge - and don't feel guilty. We all like to hear good news! Sorry you are having a hard time. Fresh air and exercise (a dog is a great excuse) is proven to be beneficial for mild depression, so take Sarsfield's advice. Hope John feels stronger soon - could your Mac nurse help?

Love Val XX

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Nothing to forgive you for love. Glad to see you back. You need to have some time for yourself love. Take care, both of you...love Carol x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Madge - Nice to have you back - but disapointed that you have forgoten some of the basic rules in such a short time !! Never ever say Sorry to us - its not needed between friends.

We love good results - it helps us all feel more positive when we hear of someone we care about is doing  better.

At time we all get a little desperate and even depresssed - no shame in that - but some of the best medican can be talking things through with those who really do understand both what you are feelings and the unrelenting pressure you can be under 24/7.

We may not be qualifed to council you, but we sure can listen mate.

Final point - rember us guys are not good at expressing our fellings - we bottle things up and sometimes just don't want to get over excited about what should be good news - you know - 'Just In Case' - Yes we get grumpy and touchy too - we are supposed to be the strong ones protecting our loved ones - but instead we sometimes just have no energy for the simple things - that can really hurt our pride you know.

Suggest the next time John snaps - you snap back and remind him you are both fighting this - and its easier to do it together. Give him 5 mins then you can make up again - that can be the best part, but don't tire him out ! - lol

Take care Madge and welcome home - hugs

John xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Madge - we do understand - and as has been said, this horrible thing has it's emosional fallout and these things will happen.

Yes we have missed you, but don't feel guilty - just pop in when you can, we'd love to see you even if only for a short time each day to begin with.

And you know that we DO love good news.

big hugs

Mal

xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Dear Madge, I am sorry you have/are enduring so much stress looking after your loved one - if you still feel you may be depressed, please see your gp.  It's important that you have your life too, you have no reason to feel guilty but that's easier said than done.  Your husband sounds very angry and we always hurt the ones we love.  Anyway, its nice to see you back although we don't really know eachother.  Take CARE OF YOURSELF, kind regards, Ann x