Muddled Update - My head's all over the place!

2 minute read time.

First of all, thank you so much if you have sent me a PM.  It really means a lot and I do read them all, even if I don't reply.

John went into MacMillan again on Saturday morning after a terrible night of pain and having to wait for an hour for any relief from the twilight shift.  He asked to go in because he was so frightened of it happening again. 

He seemed to settle in OK but the next morning he was pleading to be allowed home again after trying to get out of bed and falling over.  I managed to calm him and persuade him to stay because we needed to get his symptoms under control. 

Then, the next day (Monday), I found him in a hell of a state because the man in the next bed had been trying to get into John's bed all night.  Not only that, the bay he was in was very noisy and in his agitated state, that was the last thing John needed. 

He was moved to another quieter bay and put onto diazepam to calm him which seemed to do the trick except that now, although much calmer and more painfree, he's terribly confused for most of the time. 

My daughter Nikki has offered to have us move in with her when he is discharged because she knows how difficult things are in the flat.  She has a big four bedroom house with a large dining room and a bathroom downstairs.  She says we can have the dining room and that John's visitors can still come and go.  As far as I'm concerned, it's an ideal solution and John is keen to go too.  I think it will do us both good to have people around us, especially in the evening when things really get on top of me and I feel so lonely with nobody to talk to.

The problem is that his daughter Jo is dead against it and I can't really understand why.  She's back at work now and things were better when she was around to help us but I'm virtually on my own now and everything is getting on top of me.  She has given some strange reasons for not wanting us to move, i.e. when he passes away she won't be able to drive past Nikki's house and remember her dad.  She also thinks it will be difficult to walk in and out like she does here although Nikki has assured her that it will be 'open house'.

Jo walked out of the MacMillan Unit today in tears and didn't come back but she texted to say she wasn't happy. 

What do you all think?  Am I doing the right thing?

Hope this all makes sense.

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Madge,

Well think the I's have it - it has to be what you and John are best with,  but and its only a very small but honest ! Jo has been there for you - try to talk to her, still do what we all said - but maybe let  her visit and test the water, remember - she is a daughter to you too and she might even find it easier to visit you and stay in touch if she can remember her dad at home, but no bad memories about the house, he did not pass away there but a place you both loved him in.

Love ahd Gentle Hugs Madge

John xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Dear Madge

Apologies for not contacting you earlier (no computer).  It sounds like you are doing what is right for John and yourself who are the main sufferers.  I can see that Nikki will do her very best for you two as well as Jo.  As for the two little ones, they may be the best tonic for John.  Not to mention that, at last, you may be able to share some quite moments in the garden!

Sending you big big hugs and warm re-vitalising cuppas

All the very best

Georgia XXXXXXXXX

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

UPDATE

Jo now seems to accept that this is the right thing to do and it hasn't spoiled our relationship.  Her Dad's illness has brought us very close together.

John was very poorly yesterday.  He had a lot of pain in the morning and then slept on and off for most of the day because of the drugs they had to give him.  He's still suffering periods of confusion but was fairly lucid in his waking periods.  It seems that's the price we have to pay to keep him painfree. :0(

My 17 year old granddaughter came to visit so that she could tell us her exam results and luckily he was able to understand and seemed thrilled - an 'A', two 'Bs', and a C!!  She spent two or three hours with us even though I knew she was longing to go off and celebrate.  

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that John will be discharged some time next week and I'll keep you all posted.

Love and *hugs* to you all, Madge x x x x x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I'm really glad that Jo is back on-side again.  All this is enough to cope with without worrying about how she's feeling about things.

Great exam results too!

Take care

Ann x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Great news about Jo and the exam results. Hope it all goes well with the move etc. Give Gemma a kiss from me and you have a big bar of chocolate from me

Biggest hug to you, lovely Madge

Little My

(((((xxxmadgexxx)))))