Make the World go away!

2 minute read time.

My head is spinning today.  It's been horrible.  I had dreams of me and John leading a quiet life when I got him home but it seems it's not to be.

It's been one long round of phone calls and visits from friends, nurses, etc. and both my phones haven't stopped ringing.  In between I've been administering John's drugs etc but neither of us has even had time to have a proper wash today.  I'm still in the clothes I flung on to take the dog out this morning and John's still in his pyjamas. 

He's been in a lot of pain and consequently I've had to 'top him up' with Oxynorm on top of the Oxycontin tablets he's taking (which were recently increased).  So the poor love has been very sleepy and hallucinating so that I can't take my eyes off him for a second in case he falls over or sets himself alight with a cigarette.  He gets cross about my hovering but it proved to be necessary earlier today when he got up too quickly and fell over!  Thank Heavens he wasn't anywhere near the stairs - they are a constant nightmare to me!

So, I'm waiting for him to be ready to go into the bathroom and then be put to bed (after yet another round of drugs) and hoping that we can have a peaceful evening.  I'm on the point of taking a hammer to the phones but they are a lifeline so I'd better let them be. 

His daughter has had a bad day too.  She'd planned to visit her dad for a couple of hours and then have a well earned day off with her dad.  However, John's been knocking back so much Oxynorm that it was rapidly running out and we needed some more.  The district nurse contacted the out of hours doctors who faxed through a prescription to a Boots Chemist some 3 miles away.  So, daughter motors off to pick up the prescription only to discover that they won't fill it because they need the original.  Where's the original?  Some 12 miles or so in the other direction!

She drove there to get it and went back to Boots.  It wasn't filled out properly so she had to take it back to the out of hours doctor, yet again!  Five hours later she returned to us with the prescription!  Is this some kind of record?

We are both hoping tomorrow will be a better day but I know that several visits are planned to see John about different matters so I don't expect it will be.

Sometimes I want to lock the door and just cuddle up with him.  Please someone, make the world go away!

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Madge,

Thinking of you both and hope things settle down tomorrow. I know exactly what you mean as my sister-in-law has just come out of three weeks in hospital for a knee replacement and she got pneumonia whilst in! She lives on her own and she said people just wont leave her alone to rest. Heres hoping you have a much time this week and get some quality time with John.

love Lyn xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Dear Madge

Sleepy Jo may have a point.  The only thing I would add is to put the volume of the ring tone to the lowest volume possible and ignore their ringing for a good hour every now and then.  May be not enough but vital to catch your breath.

I wish I could at least make you a cup of something hot and revitalising but I can't.  So, cyber HUGS for your and John's lovely daughter.

All the very best

Georgia XXXX

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I remember us having the same problem when my dad went into hospital. Everyone knew that we were at the hospital till about 9 at night so between 9 and half ten the phone never stopped. Meaning you never got any dinner. We took to leaving the answerphone on and ringing people back gradually over the following day. This is yours and his daughter's time with John, much as everyone else cares they'll just have to wait! I reckon 5 hours might be the longest prescription trek I've ever come across, she must have been truly frazzled by the time she came back poor lass. I hope everything settles down soon and John remains comfortable. Sending you all my love, Vikki xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi everyone and thank you so much for all your caring replies and advice.

It's a lot quieter so far today but John is in a lot of pain and already dosed up to the eyeballs.  The Mac Sister is coming at 12 with our wonderful District Nurse, Karen, to review his pain meds.  I had requested a diamorphine injection but John decided not to have one because he wants to be part of the discussion and won't be able to participate if he's out for the count.

I have a feeling they will suggest that he go back into the unit for a few days but I have assured him that he won't have to do that.  He really went into a decline while he was in there, longing to be home again, and I'm sure me and Jo are doing as much for him at home as they could in the unit.

His wonderful daughter has gone shooting off to look at a second hand reclining chair this morning.  It sounds ideal and at only £50 (new electric ones are £600 upwards) it would be a bargain.

Not sure who else is coming today.  I think the social services are due to assess him for a bath lift, stair lift etc to be installed but not sure which day they said they'd come.  

So, keep your fingers crossed that they can come up with some alternative pain relief because it's obvious his current meds aren't working as they should.  The District Nurse thinks maybe they aren't being absorbed properly.

Love you all so much and I'm really grateful to be able to let off steam here.

Lots of love and *hugs*, Madge x x x x x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

hi madge

as my dad was in same hospital and hospice as john i know a little about the area with mac nurses etc...we had a fab mac nurse chris.she was a gem.her and the district nurse got so many things for dad..including an electric recliner chair, cushions pillows,oxygen and a hospital bed.it may well be worth asking and hopefully they will get you the things you need

sending lots of hugs

wendie x x