New Site and Lost !!!!

2 minute read time.

This is my 3rd attempt at a blog on here.

First I have no illusions as to the complexity of the task in estiblishing a new and improved version of the Mac Site, its a massive undertaking not only to get it up and running but to transfer all the previous posts, blogs, members and threads so congratulations to all involved and know there must of been some sleepless nights.

This makes it even sadder that all my comments are so negative. The site is slow, I understand this is being addressed - thanks. The 'Improvements' appear to make both the navigation and following of  threads, blogs and responses confusing to say the least.

While I can follow some of the logic of the menu system everyone has a tendance to compare to the old version. I could go to a home page and see what my'friends' had posted, I could go to the response and comment - Now I feel alone and lost. I realise some of the problems may be mine and I am missing some obvious shortcuts that I will find in time. We all resist change, maybe I am a luddite, too set in my ways and resistant to change.

What probably bothers me the most is how the newbies go on, does the site allow them to find help, understand how to post a blog and even guide them into chat. Got to admit I went into chat and did not even post a comment it was so alien.

I  understand that a lot of time, effort and money has been invested in the 'New Site' and it is provided free of charge so I may seem ungreatful, but actually feel I have lost a major support that I invested time and emotion in. I have been there to support those who where new to the site, lost and hurting, but not looking for thanks for that, I was paying back a debt from when that was me and had my hand held and felt desperate. The site was the Mac Family.

I know I maybe being harsh and that its still the first 24 hours and I need to allow problems to be sorted and the speed to be improved so I will with hold my final verdict, but first thought is the current version is not fit for purpose and should of been posponed untill large scale trials had been carried out and problems ironed out before withdrawing the previous version.

I originally tried to post this to James in admin but after preparing and posting it got the message 'Error' enough said.

Sad, lost and disallusioned

Regards John

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

I am by nature a very tolerant person, and John I am in total agreement with you that these things can have a few teething probs. But I am annoyed about the way I cannot easily communicate with friends and see what they are saying. I have only just got into Macland recently and have felt so lucky to be welcomed in by you lovely people, but now I'm going round in circles.

I  think I will have to buy a note pad and start to work out how it all works and write it down as I go. But I say this to everyone, tell admin your main issues, don't hope they will find them.

This website is not a commercial venture it is a life line for many people and you would have thought the techys would have been able to see the areas in the old site which had a lot of "traffic" and should be kept or improved, not hidden or taken away.

Back to work now, as it is less stressful.

Tim

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Steve, I tried to send you a pm but I just got sent back here ha ha... so this seems to be the place for now...

I found my blog. Wait for it.. this is what you have to do. You go to your home page. Then you click on the tiny button that says view my profile under your staus thing on the right.

When that comes up, you look at the top list in blue and there it says activity, blog posts etc.

Click on blog posts and they should be there.

That was easy and quick wasn't it? haha ha and i guess you will never find this anyway.

Big hug gorgeous and thanks John for letting us use your comments space...

Hi Tim. I told mac admin to come and read this blog...

Little My xxxx

I think i am going to pack boxes as like Tim, it seems like the less stressful option right now... xxxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I have finally told admin too - it is quite frankly, ridiculous. All their comments on how its made it easier for new people is silly - I'm new and found it simple before, and now I don't!

It used to be a nice relaxing experience, log on, click, see posts, chat to friends, now it's a game of hide and seek, just daft.

Hurumph. My rant over :)

xxxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Guys,

First, more than happy if you find your way here for you to post messages to those you have been unable to contact, as I and others have said its early days and we do need to find the shortcuts, surely there must be some !!

Hope you all have the best possible day, for those having tests, good luck with the results and Little My, good luck with the move.

Eventually we will find a better way of keeping in contact and despite my frustration my biggest concern is for the newbies, when they maybe at the vunerable point in their lives and seeking advice and reassurance from others who have experience the same emotions, fear and treatment of their particular Cancer we are not easily accessable.

Hugs to all and keep trying guys xx

John xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi everyone,

I'm relieved to say that I think we've found the answer to something many of you have flagged - that is not being able to easily see what your friends are up to and this contributing to you feeling isolated and shut out. 

We're just finishing off some tests to make 100% sure it's going to work, but I'm hopeful we can bring this to you soon. 

Sorry if this update is vague - I'll give you more details later today - but I just wanted you to know that we are addressing your concerns and are determined to put things right!

Thanks,

Laura