New Site and Lost !!!!

2 minute read time.

This is my 3rd attempt at a blog on here.

First I have no illusions as to the complexity of the task in estiblishing a new and improved version of the Mac Site, its a massive undertaking not only to get it up and running but to transfer all the previous posts, blogs, members and threads so congratulations to all involved and know there must of been some sleepless nights.

This makes it even sadder that all my comments are so negative. The site is slow, I understand this is being addressed - thanks. The 'Improvements' appear to make both the navigation and following of  threads, blogs and responses confusing to say the least.

While I can follow some of the logic of the menu system everyone has a tendance to compare to the old version. I could go to a home page and see what my'friends' had posted, I could go to the response and comment - Now I feel alone and lost. I realise some of the problems may be mine and I am missing some obvious shortcuts that I will find in time. We all resist change, maybe I am a luddite, too set in my ways and resistant to change.

What probably bothers me the most is how the newbies go on, does the site allow them to find help, understand how to post a blog and even guide them into chat. Got to admit I went into chat and did not even post a comment it was so alien.

I  understand that a lot of time, effort and money has been invested in the 'New Site' and it is provided free of charge so I may seem ungreatful, but actually feel I have lost a major support that I invested time and emotion in. I have been there to support those who where new to the site, lost and hurting, but not looking for thanks for that, I was paying back a debt from when that was me and had my hand held and felt desperate. The site was the Mac Family.

I know I maybe being harsh and that its still the first 24 hours and I need to allow problems to be sorted and the speed to be improved so I will with hold my final verdict, but first thought is the current version is not fit for purpose and should of been posponed untill large scale trials had been carried out and problems ironed out before withdrawing the previous version.

I originally tried to post this to James in admin but after preparing and posting it got the message 'Error' enough said.

Sad, lost and disallusioned

Regards John

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Laura  I will kiss you and hug you if you sort that one out at least...

Little Myxxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Laura,

Thanks for the response, I do feel guilty being so negative when I understand so many are working hard to resolve some of the issues, think its just an indication of my frustration at loosing such an important support structure. Look forward  to hearing more on the proposed changes.

Regards

John

• FormerMember
    FormerMember
    Afraid that I totally agree with everyone in that this new site is very difficult and i don't like it one little bit. Apart from the hassle I had in getting into the site, yesterday None of my comments on blogs appeared, they were blank so I an doubtful if this will work now ! Therefore I shan't continue my rant as it may be a waste of effort ......... I am very lost indeed. Wish we could have the old site turned back on ! ! ! Take care everyone. Love, Joycee xx
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi everyone,

Sorry about the delay in my response, as you can tell, this has been a busy

Let my address some of your points:

1) Site slowness and time outs - we are doing more work on this to improve it. There should be an improvement by tomorrow

2) Finding out what your friends and groups are up to - yes this is not working how it should be. This is a known issue and we are working on it. I am hoping once this issue is resolved everyone will find it easier to find out what is happening with their friends and in their groups.

3) Forums are now known as Groups - so if you are looking for Forums please have a look in Groups

We are continuing to improve the site and are hoping that you will all see the improvements soon.

Take care everyone,

James

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Emma,

Thank you for getting in touch. I am sorry about the experience you and our other users are experiencing. The relaunch didn’t go to plan. We have a resolution meaning that in future when you click on Activity within My Account , it will update you on all activity from your friends and within your groups. At the moment we are having to focus our efforts on addressing the server issues that are causing the site to be slow for everyone.

The site will not remain in it’s current state and we are working hard to get everything back to normal. We are truly sorry  about any upset this has caused to you and the rest of the community.

If you have any further feedback please get in touch.

Take care,  

James Burnett"

Hi

I had this email earlier, which with James' response above, should mean things will be sorted soon!? Please!? And does that mean Groups and Foruums are now all called groups?? Why? Surely that is MORE confusing, not less confusig? Or is that just me? ...  :)