Modify Update - Oct 2023

2 minute read time.

I’m now on week 18 of the 2 year ModiFY trial.  Time for an update. 

The first 2 months were hectic with appointments most weeks.   Since September the injections are every 12 weeks.   But there are so many check-ins with the same questions, and answers! 

My answers are mono syllable.  Same.  Yes.  No.  I get the impression that trials aren’t normally like this.  There are usually side effects to discuss and feeling bleugh.  My check-in appointments (not the treatments) are really quite quick now and I can be in and out in 30 minutes which is pretty impressive.

There have been a lot of adjustments to the new processes with the Trial team.  The best is that trials are in a separate area which means there isn’t the contention, constant beeping of machines common in every day unit.  Also, I haven’t seen an emergency (bad reaction) since I’ve been in Trials, but they were a regular occurrence before.   The consultants walk in from time-to-time too which never happened at the day unit.  Sometimes long conversations happen with the consultants and I fear for patient confidentiality.  Now they know me, I don't get a patient wristband very often either.    

My body has become more acquainted with the meds now and the skin reaction is not so bad.  I still get a significant scab though and they linger for ages.  All vaccine sites are still visible, even the first ones from June.   

I had a CT scan in August.  The results were a shrinkage of 1mm to the primary tumour., categorized as inconclusive.  1mm is within measurement error margins and we don’t know whether this is attributable to the continued response to the nivolumab or the modi-1 injection, or both. 

The next scan was the beginning of October.  The results are the same – another shrinkage of 1-2mm to 23mm.   It’s clear now that we’re not going to get any significant shrinkage attributable to Modi-1.  That doesn’t mean to say that there aren’t long term benefits for other metrics, like overall survival (yes please)! 

I have found that I feel normal on another level. I’ve noticed my appetite has changed and I am so tempted to eat crap again!  My onco says this isn’t surprising as you would expect vaccines to impact the body system. 

The dry mouth is better.  I now go out without clinging to a water bottle.  I think this improvement started before modi-1 though.  This could also be stimulating the consumption of biscuits as being saliva deficient is a right turn-off.

Finally my onco was asking whether I felt I would continue with the treatment, given that it wasn’t shrinking the tumour.  I was most surprised to think this might even be present in his mind!  I saw it as a commitment to 2 years and nothing has happened to alter that view.   

Anonymous
  • Thanks for adding an update, always an interesting blog. 

• Hi Mumm, I've been following your comments for over a year because your condition seems to most similar to my wife's. Yours are almost always upbeat, which is encouraging. One thing I keep on wondering about is why you decided to go on a trial. the Nivo regime seems to be working, or maybe I missed something. My wife's oncol is happy that her condition is stable - of course she would like to see some shrinkage after over a year of treatment, but he's happy and says that it shows her condition is under control. She has stage 4 with mets over towards her other kidney, lungs, adrenal glands and some lymph nodes. Despite all this going on, she seems outwardly 'normal', and the only real side effect is the dry mouth you mention. Thank you for sharing your experience with us all, and good luck with your treatment.

• "Why go on a trial?"  Good question!  Here was my reasoning ->  

"Why NOT go on a trial?!"  Tomorrow's breakthrough drug today, perhaps.  To get a drug on the cutting edge without having to wait for the protocol / approvals years leter etc.  To help the community.  

When the trial was first suggested to me, my first reaction was "yes, of course" closely followed by "the nivo is working for me so I won't get any benefit, but it will help others further down the line and assist the science pathway".  I'm not sure the "nivo is working, modi-1 won't" is logical now!   However, when I heard of H&N lady's results I soon changed my perspective and the target became NED.  

Once diagnosed I was immediately open to drug trials and I told my oncologists that.  Because my case is very interesting (onco's statement) I suspect this predisposed them to seeing what the results would be like for me.  

I believe many people are only open to trials once everything else has failed or it becomes their last chance.  I don't see it this way at all.  I don't view a trial as a risk.  To be approved for human use trial there still has to be a lot of tests to get the go-ahead for humans.  

The trial is not showing overall shrinkage.  The lady with the amazing response, her cancer came back.  Either the positives are more long term 5+ years or there are no benefits.   Even if the latter, the best outcome is to find that out now, then start new trials.  I'm just happy to assist.  

• I bow to your persistent strengh and clarity with all you are going through. I look forward to your next update. 

• Hi Mumm, thank you - keep us informed and good luck. I keep my wife positive but she's disappointed not to see her tumour shrink, but cling on to the hope that the 'magic bullet' is just around the corner, so we appreciate everyone who volunteers for trials. I don't know if I mentioned, my eldest son (53) has stage 4 Prostate Cancer - oh, it's such a worry, but he's coping.