Port a cath questions

1 minute read time.

Hi Everybody,

I have (had) bowel cancer with liver and lung mets. I had a combined liver and bowel op last year. now I am trying to deal with the lung mets which didn't go with the chemo. I'm having a different chemo and the onc suggested a port a cath as my veins never were good and are quite bad now.

I hate hospitals so much that they have to be warned that I am coming and shut all the doors and get things ready so I don't see any unecessary "hospital things" and I don't have to wait.

I have been told the port will be easier for me but I just can't get my head around having a plastic tube in my chest. It makes me feel angry, almost violated and physically sick. That's all part of my phobia but it is real to me.

They do have to put a needle into your skin anyway don't they? Before I had mostly oral chemo and only 4 infusions but thay took their toll on me, much more than the drugs did.

i will try to ask the onco on Monday about alternatives but he is not easy to catch! I've been up nearly all night ,just so worried about this.

Any experiences will be welcomed.Thanks

Jen

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Jen,

I have a portacath in at the moment and have had one previously too so I have experience of having them put in, taken out and used for approximately 2 years combined.  It is quite a procedure putting them in but its not at all painful and you can be sedated if you wish...I wasnt either time and found it to be ok.  It takes about 40 minutes and you feel some tugging and pulling.  They make an incision on the chest wall between the collarbone and breast where the port sits almost like a button. Then they make a tiny incision in your neck to feed the line through into the jugular vein leading to the heart, this then gets attached to the port. Then they stitch it up (maybe 3/4 stitches) then you have to go for a chest xray to ensure its in the correct postition and your done. I promise it sounds worse than it is and there is no pain due to the local.  It feels quite bruised and sore for a few days after but once in and healed its a godsend! Yes it takes a little getting used to having this thing under your skin and it is quite visible but you dont have any exposed lines etc so can swim, and do all the normal activites without the risk of infection as is the case with other lines.  Accessing the port is ok if you have a confident nurse and I find it hurts less than having a canula or normal blood test (and they can use it for taking blood). Some nurses tend to faff around with it if they are not used to them so you may need to tell them to be firm and just do it!!! I promise you its really not bad at all and after a while you dont even know its there! I dont know if Jenny was getting mixed up as she mentioned an incision in the arm which isnt a port. Message me if you want to know anything else about it but I really hoped this has helped you.

Love Chrissi xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thanks Chrissi,

it does help a bit but I am having a general anasthetic as my anxiety levels are so high and they know they can't trust me not to run away!! The trouble is the nurses get so anxious around me as they know about the phobia. Will they be confident enough to do the needle properly? They do try very hard to make it easy but it is actually being in a hospital rather than what they do. I realise having a general will mean I have to stay a bit longer but no way a local for me!! I think you are very brave.

I am rally dreading it and wish it was over.

Thanks again Chrissi

Love Jen XX

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi maybe this is a new procedure or different, mine will go in my arm, up and around into my chest so they will start from the inside, top of my arm and using ultrasound guide it around.

Jenny x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Chrissi has a fab summary about the portacath. I have one right now, my second one. The first time I was put on general but I had it under local the 2nd time around. Not that I got any braver but the general always makes me so sick after so went without it. Wasn't too bad either but go with the GA if it makes you more comfortable about the process.

I've always had poor veins that drawing blood is a mission so I definitely prefer the port particularly since chemo is now once a week.

Good luck Jen.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thanks everybody,

My chemo will be weekly too and I have only one visible vein so doing anything is a bit traumatic for the poor thing. I would miles rather have it in my arm than my chest so I will ask about that.

They just phoned to ask me to go on Friday to see the surgeon at 6 in the evening. Didn't know I would have to go twice! And waiting all day gets me in a terrible state. I was assured he is very  sympathetic and his first name is Happy. Well he won't be when he has to deal with me, I change from a reasonable very patient (primary teacher) into some sort of mad woman in that situation.

Onwards and upwards!

Love jen XX