lung mets

Less than one minute read time.

Has anyone had treatment for lung secondaries?  I've had successful treatment (surgery) for bowel cancer and liver mets but the chemo seems to have been ineffective on the lung mets.  Oncologist wants to wait 3 months to see what happens but I am already worrying about what happens next in the way of treatment as I am scared. Would appreciate any answers. Thanks

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Jen - Finally - we're meeting someone in the same predicament! My hubby has had bowel surgery where we were assured that they "got the whole thing"; followed by chemo, chemo and radiation, and more chemo - where we were assured that they "mopped up any stray cancer molecules"; followed by liver surgery for 2 metastasized tumours (small) - touted to be "curative" surgery. Only a few months later, they found over 20 tiny tumours in both his lungs - inoperable, and too many for radio ablation. Most people on this site with metastasized bowel cancer, have the metastasis in the liver, and some have it in the liver And the lungs. But we know of noone else with the metastasis occuring Only in the lungs, until you.... Thank you for posting!!!

Hubby's oncologists have tried the "wait and see" approach, and have offered chemo to slow down the progress if and when he starts to feel unwell... that as long as he's feeling well, why start him on the chemo as it would not be curative.

What seems to be slowing it right down (for us) is Tibetan Medicine. He's been on it for almost 7 months with little to no side effects. Doctors of Tibetan Medicine cannot claim to have a cure for cancer, but in this particular case, it has definitely slowed everything right down.

Google Tibetan Doctors or Tibetan Medicine and see what you think.

Sending you love and hugs - I'll request you as a friend if you would like to PM.

We're now in the middle of our 4th year with this battle. Please know that you're not alone! Any commiseration is welcome.

Mo

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Mo,

Nice to meet you. I did have it in my liver but had the op for both bowel and liver together. I had lung met at diagnosis. I feel so cheated, I had no symptoms until I had bleeding and constipation. I went straight to the docs as my mum died of bowel cancer so there was no delay but I had liver and lungs mets already. I had chemo before the op with no shrinkage so why  did I have the same afterwards -another 8 cycles with no shrinkage? The bowel and liver are clear .

I'll have a look at Tibetan medicine, I trusted the docs here but I feel a bit fed up that the mets - 4 now- didn't shrink. How do you know it has slowed down?

There is a lady on the site from Australia who had bowel cancer , NO liver mets but had lung and scalp mets. She's only 31 now, 29 at diagnosis and has 3 small boys. She is not posting much now but you could look her up Mihalo.

I'm sorry your husband is having this long battle, I'm at the beginning of 2nd year and fed up already. I live in London but have no family nearby, just my son and husband.

Thanks for the reply I'll look out for more.

Love Jen XX

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Jen

I'm sorry about everything you've had to go through and how little the chemo has done. Another member of this site had suggested "radio frequency ablation" as a way to get rid of metastasized lung tumours. Also surgery may be a good option for you as you only have 4 mets on the lungs - (depending on where they're located).

We know that the growth of hubby's mets have slowed down because they measure the growth and spread of the mets at CT scans every three months. He is only trying the Tibetan medicine because the Oncs have taken the "wait & see" approach. If & when he starts palliative chemo, he will have to stop the Tibetan meds. But miracles do happen, and you just never know.

I'm sorry to hear of the Austalian woman. It's unusual for mets to skip the liver and it's rare to go to the scalp. She's very young for this type of cancer.

I have found the support on this site to have been a life-saver. I'm glad we've found each other. Please keep posting.

Love Mo  xoxo

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Mo,

Yes RFA has been suggested as a treatment if they grow. The oncologist says we still have a reasonable chance of getting rid of it, if not we can control it.

it's the wait and see I find hard to do.

Yes Michelle is young to have bowel cancer but the youngest on this site is 20, she's ok now but we recently losy two girls of 24. It puts it into perspective for me a bit. I'm 62.

Have you looked at the thread called TRIPLETS , there's lots of bowel and liver people on there but as you say not many with the lung.

Best wishes for 2010

Jen XX

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Mo

I have been reading about your husbands bowel cancer . I have had the main bowel  tumour removed and 14 nodules removed last year from both lungs. I have one nodule removed by |R F A and I am awaiting further treatment R F A on two. One they have said the will watch and wait beacause it is too small to know what it may be.

Lung mets seem to be less common .Most people seem to have mets in the liver.I would be iterested to know about the Tibetan medicine.

At the moment I am enjoying being free from chemo.

Best wishes to you both

christine