Wake me up inside

2 minute read time.

It’s been a week since I started my new chemo treatment and this week, I’m beyond tired 24/7. There is definitely a difference between ‘tired’ and ‘chronic fatigue’ and no amount of sleep is helping me get through it. It’s made it tough last week at work concentrating and being productive but when sleep doesn’t make me less tired, I might as well try and be awake and doing things. After the nuclear treatment I’ve had the side effects of these tablets are nothing to write home about. I feel like I’ve got constant car sickness but nothing that stops me getting on with my day and I can eat and drink fine. I have a weird tingly feeling in my toes and fingertips all of the time like a mild pins and needles so I’m constantly moisturising to try and stop the skin coming off like it did with the Doxetaxel. My toenails are still dropping off randomly and two of my fingernails have lifted, still effects from the last treatment. My tummy is not happy with anything that I eat and doesn’t stay with me for more than 30 mins after I’ve eaten but again nothing like the extreme sickness or diarrhoea I’ve had with past treatments.

I spoke too soon on my last blog and literally the next day, I had all of my Radiotherapy information and appointments through the post for this week. I have a telephone consultation with an oncologist on Thursday. As if I now have two oncologists to deal with. Then I have an appointment at the hospital on Friday to have a CT scan, be fitted for my board and get my tattoo’s done before my treatment starts the following week. I’m concerned about my seroma and the lack of contact with my breast nurses to help fix it this week. The radiotherapy information stated that treatment couldn’t go ahead if a seroma was there. I’ve called my nurses twice last Thursday and Friday and again this morning. I need to see if I need to get it drained asap this week and then what I can do if I’m having radiotherapy daily and it comes back.

I’m nervous to hear what is going to come with the radiotherapy. It looks like it’s going to run over Christmas and new year. Depending on the strength that I’m going to get, I can’t be around kids or pregnant people which means I won’t be able to see my sister for a month either. I was hoping it was going to be a quiet December with just Chemotherapy to worry about but now that it’s here at least it will be over and done with for the start of next year. Let’s see what this week holds for the next unknown journey.

Anonymous
  • Thanks for the heads up with this. I’ve got 15 sessions to do so I think I’ll get 3 weeks holiday booked in at work and then am not under pressure. I can relax and sleep when I need to if this is goJoyg to add to my lack of energy lol. Hahaha this sounds like a good plan. I’m sure I can get away with it just facilitating this year Joy

• Hi. From R/T, uncomfortable now and again, some tenderness and a bit of pain (like sunburn) but nothing serious. It's still tender and swollen now 7 weeks on, but nothing compared to chemo or surgery healing.  Good luck

• This is what I was expecting so I'm glad you've let me know what it was like! I can cope with some sunburn (I think! haha)

I hope your doing well. Are you now officially done with treatments?! Pray tone1

• I still have 6 more Phesgo injections, so that takes me until late March I think. Then 5 more bone infusions (twice a year) and Letrozole until September 2030!!!!   They kindly remind me of this on each prescription label Joy

• Good luck with all your ongoing treatment. Always catch up on your blog and how you're doing, it was your blog that made me start my own.

Hope you get to see your family over Christmas . I too have heard mixed reports about radiotherapy- not sure if it's an urban myth about keeping away from children etc.You can report back and tell us.