What a bothersome weekend

4 minute read time.

Seem to only blog when things are a bit glum, sorry. 

Well I did intend to have a few wines on Friday night (i didn't manage the whole bottle stinker) hehe.  Relaxation therapy as Tim put it.  But I was so tired I fell asleep after one glass and missed our usual Friday evening telly entertainement and was quite antisocial to poor hubby.  A shame really 'cos he had been so thoughtful the day before.  He came in from work with a lovely bouquet of flowers, which isn't usual.  So I asked what they were for and what had he done.  If i'm being sexist is that a typical woman thing to say hehe or is it just me??  He had actually remembered the date we were in clinic and got the "it's cancer, sorry" statement two years on.  He thought I might be feeling glum and infact I hadn't even remembered :)  AAwwww how nice is that, he's my best mate.

Sorry warped, if any of you read the above I know it's repeated from there but wanted to share it here too.  Oh and Hils, I loved the phrase my cancerversary, brilliant i'll remember that.  Oh and LM pointed out, is cancerversary on diagnosis, start of treatment or end of treatment.  Yes LM I think it should be all three and celebrate every one of them.  Oh by the way, I got my appointment today for my next CT scan in a few weeks.  It's a weird feeling when one comes around, 'cos you think it's not on your mind and then the uncertainty and little niggles start. Hi ho, onwards and upwards.

Right then that's Thursday and Friday done.  Saturday morning mum phoned in a panic.  Dad was found on the floor whilst walking his dog and a kind lady rang an ambulance and returned the dog home.  I rushed out and met the ambulance before it left forl hossie.  He had fell flat on lhis face and his glasses had skinned the bridge of his nose and the nosepiece was embedded in his skin.  What a mess!  Three hours later in A & E he was assessed S.H.O. and referred on to another hossie for the next day as they feared the tear duct was involved. 

Poor dad was in shock and at the min he is struggling with an infection due to his ca prostate.  I'm amazed he hadn't broken any bones 'cos he's got bone mets aswell.  He's 78 but so independant and still thinks he's 28, which is a good outlook to have but it can come and bite you on the bum as they say.  He's ok now and i've just got to dress his wound every few days and report back to hossie in a week.

Thought Sunday would be peaceful and then a phone call in the afternoon spoilt that idea.  My sons car had broken down.  He's lives with us and goes to Uni and his little old banger is hanging on in there, hopefully to see him to the end of Uni in a few years.  Car rescue came out, topped up the coolant which had been lost and told him to drive to a garage.  We had to go out to him to help with taking partner and my grandson home and following him to see he was ok.

Taxi mum time again!!  Took him to work in the evening and then to Uni this morning.  Right we are up to Monday now eh.  Going to pick him up this afternoon and hope the garage has sorted the problem out with not too much expense ouch!!!

Sorry for the bothersome weekend account after what was meant to be a relaxation therapy hehe.

Ending on a lighter note.  My family is growing with daughter and son having partners and families.  My house is always buzzing with someone coming and going and I  honestlycould do with a bigger house but that's out of the question.  Anyway, we have been planning Christmas day, yep I know it's only November but these things need organising then we know who is going where.  Guess where the where is? MINE.  I've got 16 to dinner and although it's quite exciting it's the biggest number i've cooked for eeeek!  Gonna have to go out and buy another banquet table and chairs to seat everyone 'cos I only have enough to accomodate 12 at the min hehe. 

Any advice for the days plans would be apreciated.  Oh and my niece is vegarerian, so if you have any lovely Christmas day recipes, may I have them, thanks.  Duncs advice was to follow the royal family christmas theme (not the royal royal family, the telly royal family). 

Cuppa soup in middle of tables with a ladle to help yourself

A mountain of smash with sausages stuck in on a platter with ladle to help yourself

Huge bowl of angel delight with a ladle to help yourself.

All served onto disposible plates and plastic cutlery.

JOB DONE Have drink cheers.

Take care all

love

Jan xx

prem.xps
Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Jan,

Sorry to hear about your dad.. hope he is recovering ok now...

Christmas? Isn't that something that happens in December? Thats aaaaages away. I will start thinking and doing stuff about the 20th. (of December) I wonder if I really am a bloke and never noticed....

I am impressed that you have 16 relatives to invite round...  wow... how many of them are you kids?? As for cooking for them.... hmmmm lets just say I am not the person to ask.... Once you get above 3 or 4 I think the term is restaurant and chef so I would go out. Or tell them to cook and you put your feet up with a glass or bottle of wine.

Sounds fun, but phew... I don't really do cooking so no recipes from me. Roast potatoes in goose fat. That's about my limit.. I was also a knit your own yoghurt type once upon a time, but a bacon sandwich was the undoing of me... I was still at home and my mum used to buy a tinned nut loaf and stick a feather in one end and a cardbaord turkey head in the other, so I am perhaps not the person to ask! I also think things have moved on a little since then.

I reckon you will have fun though and being a rabbit type, I suspect you also have a list already....

The 3 Mys will be slumming it as usual.....  

Little My xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thanks Tim and LM for the well wishes to my dad and the NOT so good ideas for Christmas dinner hehe :).

Still busy, busy i'm afraid.  Went for a lovely pub tea with Dunc to catch up with a couple of our friends and as I put the key in the door the phone rang.  Dunc didn't want me to answer as my mum hasn't been coping too well, understandably, and is becoming quite weary herself.

Yep it was mum, upset.  My dad has become unresponsive over the last day. He seems to be in a zombie state.  We have seen this before with him and it usually is the start of his depression which he suffers from on and off.  It's a blow 'cos an unstable mental mind is far more difficult to treat and deal with day to day than anything physical.  And we are a family of psychiatric nurses, yet this is so challenging.

Right, i've already showered and hoovered hehe (this will only make sense to the warped lot :). I'm off too try and motivate him to wash, shave etc. basically put a bomb up his arse (sorry LM ouch).  I said bomb not balloon.  Oh maybe that would do the trick, what do you think. A balloon up the arse to cure depression.  They've tried everything over the years from cold showers, labotomies and ofcourse the old electric shock treatment so maybe we could give it a try!!

Anyone reading this who is or has a suffereing deppresive please don't take offense.  I am actually very sincere and sensitive of the illness. like I say we have sufferers in the family and are psychy nurses, who do care. No offence intended it's just my warped brain helping me to cope and it works for me.

Take care all

love

Jan x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

HI Jan,

Never a dull moment with you and yours. Sorry to hear about your mum and dad. Think Mr Mortality might be knocking on Dad's door and he's realised that he's not as young and able as his mind likes to think, hence the depression. My hubby just come off his depression drugs ... has been gradually cutting down, and doctor said last week," well Louise is better "....and to be quite honest I think he has been better while he's been cutting down and is now off them. Its so much harder dealing with mental illness than physical, as I always seemed to be trying to make excuses for his intolerant and downright rude behaviour at times.

Oh kids, how we love 'em! Older son turned up for a cuppa on Sunday, and ended up raiding the fridge, younger son paying a flying visit on Friday as he is going to a gig in Brum on Saturday, daughter arriving tomorrow for our pamper session on Thursday.

As one of 10 I was used to big dinners every day of the week....we sat down for a meal round a table every evening! This Christmas is going to be sooooooo quiet as LB is due to appear in early Jan, so daughter may or may not come with SIL, youngest will be home for a few days, but have to break it to him that No 1 son has been invited to his new girlfriend's parents on Christmas Day, so it will be him and the Oldies (me and his Dad!)

If M&S does not appeal, just think of it as a big roast dinner. As for the veggies, do a bean chilli with a tin of mixed beans, and baked potato/rice/other veg that you're doing anyway. Daughter and SIL eat fish, but have brought something with them when they've been here for Christmas. I have just realised that I am the one cooking this year.....the kids have done it since they were teenagers as it was my day off (their idea!). Oh! Might have to ask for ideas now....breathe.....breathe.....Oh! forgot, its just a roast dinner :-) Must take my own advice!

Love to you all xxxxxxxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Oh Jan,

It never rains but it pours!

On top of everything you now have to cope again with mum and dad.

I can only send big hugs and lots of spoons,

Odin xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thanks for the support Louise, it's very much appreciated.  Had a big therapy session with dad yesterday but as you'll know a little positivity can be seen and then with a blink of an eye it's gone again.  Mental illness is complicated! 

Wow, one of 10, so i'm sure you will be an expert on big meals and how lovely, really that you all came together to at the meal table.  I love it when we are all round the family table, conversation flows.  Thanks too for the chilli bean and baked potato idea, think thats what i'll do, but without the chilli 'cos she doesn't do spicy (i love it).

How exciting, you are all awaiting LB to arrive in Jan.  A new year baby, lovely.

Thanks for the hugs and spoons Odin, thanks for your support xxx

Take  care all

love

Jan xxxxxxxxxxxxx