R.I.P. My beloved, lovely, dear old Dad

1 minute read time.

I got 'the phone call' from the Hospital at 9.45pm tonight....raced to get Mom round to look after my daughter and then raced to the Hospital.  Got to the Ward at 10.14pm....2 minutes too late....can you believe it?  You were still warm as I hugged and kissed you and my tears soaked your face....I just couldn't believe you were really actually dead. 

I'm gutted, so gutted I wasn't there to hold your hand as you slipped away.  There's only me, Mom and my 5 year old daughter so we've been there as much as we can - just can't believe I missed you by just a few minutes.  At least there was a Nurse there with you so you weren't totally alone - but after a lifetime of looking after me I'm so sorry I couldn't have been there to help you pass over.  I was there till 6.30pm tonight and although things were going down hill I had no idea they would go so fast or else of course I would have stayed. 

No one could have been a better Daddy than you....you've been so brave, never complained and the indignities and experiences you have had to go through are traumatic beyond words.  I don't know how I will ever put the pieces of my life back together and go on after this.  I feel broken - totally torn apart and I don't know how I will carry on with the memories I carry of the last few weeks and months. 

Daddy, Daddy I wish it could all have been so different - I would have done anything to have stopped what you went through.  I love you, I love you, I love you.  Rest in Peace my lovely Dad.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXx

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

sparlklestars

I'm relieved I haven't upset you with my comments: and thank you for sharing your images of your dad's last days. Very familiar! Yes, I hated leaving the hospice in a hurry. If up to me I would have talked to the nurses, one of whom had been looking after dad for a week or so & whom I had got to 'know'.

My mother is now established as the grieving widow of the most perfect marriage/ideal husband... Quite bizarre but I am now am expert at biting my tongue and letting it roll over me. She is unaware that I might need support but I wouldn't choose to turn to her anyway: many bad experiences make one a wee bit wiser. I just Do My Duty and talk on here to the only people who understand! It's just about enough:)

But you are just now in a hard, hard place and I am so sorry for you. You will get through it, even if you don't believe you will. Time callously keeps on passing and your daughter will need your attention and will keep you going (even if you feel you haven't the energy).

Isn't it weird how so many of us have strained/strange relationships with our mothers... I don't feel close to mine at all: I was always a 'daddy's girl'. Or I thought I was. I'm 51 now and thrice married so I guess I'm my own girl now.

lots of love and sympathetic hugs to you

if I can help you in any way, 'friend' me

xxxxxx