Told You !! Getting Really Pi**ed Off Now So Stop Asking !!!

4 minute read time.

Hi Laura and James,

I do understand you are working hard to resolve our issues, and at this stage not getting a lot of thanks from us the members. I say understand not saying I am sorry !! - you are the only visible faces we can post to.

While I understand your efforts, with long days and sleepless nights I have far less concerns about that than the fact someone who may of just received a diagnosis of cancer has turned to the site and instead of being welcomed, reassured and pointed in the direction where they can seek help, support and feedback from others who understand their Cancer, treatment and fears have been left to flounder alone and lost.

I keep hearing things about the new improved site, OK a couple of definitions, if it’s new - it’s new - not improved!! If it’s improved, great but then it’s not new!! Mac can not have it both ways; the sad thing is it is neither. It is Flashy and is a tribute to the Internet coding for appearance. It is also slow and clunky and totally unusable at the speed it is working. But speed is only one aspect of why we find it difficult if not impossible to use.

Recently Admin put forward a blog asking for 'Community Champions' along with 14 other people I offered to take up this role. I did not do it for the title or kudos, there was none. So why take on this role,  well along with the others I wanted to make sure than no blog went unanswered, even if not having the relevant knowledge I would be able to point them to the information or groups who did and just to let them know someone was listening and actually understood.

The reason I offered was to repay some of the help, confidence and even love I was offered when I was at my lowest ebb. I had been in a dark lonely place after being told my cancer was inoperable but by giving up several male characteristics and abilities my life could be extended by some years, some choice huh ??  This was an important point in my life. The confidence and hope I was given by this site and friends I made on Chat gave me a hope and a will to review what was important and I went for the life option.

So maybe from personal experience I can say this site can be a matter of life or death at times in a cancer patients life and I am just not sure how anyone associated with this charity, in any sort of control role can take the risk of turning their backs on even one person at the most venerable time in their lives.

The New Site is Flashy but unworkable, it should never have been implemented without a large scale user trial. The time to correct the problems was before not after change over We were asked what we wanted before the site was introduce and these need have been ignored.

One of the most fundament aspects of the previous Mac Site was the Community Spirit, Mutual Support, a Family of Members looking out for each other, offering a Social network, wanting and needing to know about others tests and results, symptoms and sadly even losses of Family Members.

I am not even going to discuss the fiasco that passes for a chat room, total rubbish and just not fit for purpose !!

Simple but fundament question, If one of my friends looses a partner, parent,  child or relative will I even know or get a chance to convey my feeling, condolences  or emotions ?

I do not want the earth honest, I want a home page to see how and what my friends are doing, I want a chat room that works and I want to be able to post to new members welcoming them to the site, confident that my post will appear. I also want a site that works in a constant, speedy manner.

I am not going to apologise if this seems a sad angry blog with me ranting and spitting my dummy - that’s because I am all of those things and a lot more too but unfair to load all my feeling onto the two admin people who I understand are working hard but to them it must seem like nailing jelly to the ceiling !! Thanks for Your efforts but its not enough Laura and James.

Lost Totally Pi **ed Off and Disillusioned

Regards

John

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi John

Thanks for all of that.

I used to visit the site every hour or so before the upgrade but haven't bothered in the past couple of days as essentially it is pointless - unless one of your friends has posted recently it takes for ever to scroll through to find things and then when you post it either disappears or comes up twice etc......

As this upgrade appears to not suit the users (which is surely what this site should do) could it not be taken down until sorted with the old site put back in place in the meantime......just an idea.

Stay positive Have Fun

Steve

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

John,

As you can see from the above, I was logged in as a Community Champion when I posted (just forgot that's how I'd logged in). Like you, along with the others, I offered to take up this role but did not do so for any reason other than that I hoped I'd be able to help in some small way. All members were asked and some of us applied and were accepted, but many of our fellow "Community Champions" wanted to remain anonymous, for several reasons, one of which was that they did not want others to think they had any control or influence over what happens on the site. I don't think anyone needs to worry about that reason anymore - it is obvious we do not have any control or influence or elevated position or whatever. Not that any of us wanted that as all we wanted to do was help.

I apologise for making my earlier comments whilst logged on in that role - at least I remembered to sign my name - as my opinion is just that, mine and not that of all the Community Champions.

Take care, Rose x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi John

Yet again you used the words I wanted to use but without my clumsiness!  Thank you.

I'm going to be the first one to say something trivial but: why change the colour?  Everybody knows the font and background colour of MacMillan publications!  And, just for the record: colour blind people will not be able to see these colours!  Blue & green tend to be indistinguishable for them. 

(hopefully this post will post after yesterday's frustrations!)

All the very best

Georgia XXXXXXXX

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

John,

Couldn't have put it better myself, you summed up perfectly all the issues I have with this revamp. Previously I felt like part of a little community, something that was important to me while my dad was ill and once he died, the receiving and giving of support among friends and also strangers on here kept me sane in many a dark and depressing time but this new revamp has altered the whole feel of the site. Leaving aside the fact that it's running so slowly, I now can't post replies to people's threads without joining the group that discussion is classed as so I'm presented with a list of threads I can't talk to people on. I'd feel a fraud joining 'pancreatic cancer' or 'brain tumours' or whatever just to leave a message of support and so I don't post and feel like an outsider. Why can't the site just show me posts I CAN join in with? I'm not even bothering with threads anymore so am no longer offering the knowledge that I gained through bitter experience to others so it can help them. Surely that's not an 'improvement'? If the site is not fit for purpose, and I've yet to find anyone who says it is, then surely it's time to admit the error and reinstate the old site until a rethink based on these problems has been held? I'm not blaming admin, it's not their fault, they aren't the tech department or the people who designed this debacle but someone needs to get this sorted out right now because the site might just be a day job to those who design it and come up with the bright ideas but it's a lifeline to those of us on here and at the moment, we're drowing in a sea of bad design and inept performance. Please let us have our old site back Macmillan.

Cheers for listening to my rant! Vikki

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi John,

You've said it all.

I too feel frustrated that it is no longer easy to contact my friends, to receive updates on their treatment and family. These are new friends who have helped me when I've been low just by being there and like you I want to return that help, but the slowness of the site and the non working of the chat room make this impossible.

It is important to welcome newcomers to the site at a time when they feel most vulnerable, and this opportunity has been lost on the new site.

I feel the new site is not yet fit for purpose, and the old site should be re-instated.

If mac want to persevere with the new site and feel it is worthwhile, that should be done in private. The secret of success with any new website is testing, testing and testing again. Then, only when they have removed all the gremlins should a trial version be put up for testing by those who make the most use of this site.

This site is a great resource for people affected by cancer and it is too valuable to be messed about with.

I feel sorry for Laura and James who take the flack, but who else can we talk to about the problems.

Please Laura and James, if you read this excellent blog, give us the old site back until you can solve the many problems on the "improved"(?) site.

Colin