Told You !! Getting Really Pi**ed Off Now So Stop Asking !!!

4 minute read time.

Hi Laura and James,

I do understand you are working hard to resolve our issues, and at this stage not getting a lot of thanks from us the members. I say understand not saying I am sorry !! - you are the only visible faces we can post to.

While I understand your efforts, with long days and sleepless nights I have far less concerns about that than the fact someone who may of just received a diagnosis of cancer has turned to the site and instead of being welcomed, reassured and pointed in the direction where they can seek help, support and feedback from others who understand their Cancer, treatment and fears have been left to flounder alone and lost.

I keep hearing things about the new improved site, OK a couple of definitions, if it’s new - it’s new - not improved!! If it’s improved, great but then it’s not new!! Mac can not have it both ways; the sad thing is it is neither. It is Flashy and is a tribute to the Internet coding for appearance. It is also slow and clunky and totally unusable at the speed it is working. But speed is only one aspect of why we find it difficult if not impossible to use.

Recently Admin put forward a blog asking for 'Community Champions' along with 14 other people I offered to take up this role. I did not do it for the title or kudos, there was none. So why take on this role,  well along with the others I wanted to make sure than no blog went unanswered, even if not having the relevant knowledge I would be able to point them to the information or groups who did and just to let them know someone was listening and actually understood.

The reason I offered was to repay some of the help, confidence and even love I was offered when I was at my lowest ebb. I had been in a dark lonely place after being told my cancer was inoperable but by giving up several male characteristics and abilities my life could be extended by some years, some choice huh ??  This was an important point in my life. The confidence and hope I was given by this site and friends I made on Chat gave me a hope and a will to review what was important and I went for the life option.

So maybe from personal experience I can say this site can be a matter of life or death at times in a cancer patients life and I am just not sure how anyone associated with this charity, in any sort of control role can take the risk of turning their backs on even one person at the most venerable time in their lives.

The New Site is Flashy but unworkable, it should never have been implemented without a large scale user trial. The time to correct the problems was before not after change over We were asked what we wanted before the site was introduce and these need have been ignored.

One of the most fundament aspects of the previous Mac Site was the Community Spirit, Mutual Support, a Family of Members looking out for each other, offering a Social network, wanting and needing to know about others tests and results, symptoms and sadly even losses of Family Members.

I am not even going to discuss the fiasco that passes for a chat room, total rubbish and just not fit for purpose !!

Simple but fundament question, If one of my friends looses a partner, parent,  child or relative will I even know or get a chance to convey my feeling, condolences  or emotions ?

I do not want the earth honest, I want a home page to see how and what my friends are doing, I want a chat room that works and I want to be able to post to new members welcoming them to the site, confident that my post will appear. I also want a site that works in a constant, speedy manner.

I am not going to apologise if this seems a sad angry blog with me ranting and spitting my dummy - that’s because I am all of those things and a lot more too but unfair to load all my feeling onto the two admin people who I understand are working hard but to them it must seem like nailing jelly to the ceiling !! Thanks for Your efforts but its not enough Laura and James.

Lost Totally Pi **ed Off and Disillusioned

Regards

John

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Well said John, I am annoyed that  no longer immediately receive information of my friends activity when I log on. I'm all for improvement, will even accept some change when there's no obvious improvement but to take away the ease of access to our friends is, to me, the worst aspect of it all.

It is all so PAINFULLY.....slow!!!!!

You even have to go back to your account....AND wait ages ....just to log out!

I could go on but have neither the will nor the energy.....

Love to all and sincerely hope things improve soon 

Hugs John xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi

Well said, and I TOTALLY agree! The say its to help new people navigate ... well, I am new, and 4 weeks ago I was doing fine on here, this week, it is cr*p and upsetting and yes, lifelines have been pulled out from people here!

Christine - I am so pleased for your mum!! ?

Can we petition Macland?? Why will they NOT listen to their users??

Huge hugs to all...

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

John, I also agree.

Chat cuts off long sentences, logging in seems hit & miss on my laptop (Win7 & Chrome), the redesign seems to be mainly a result of a new colour scheme but over-reaches and feels incomplete.

To me the sensible choice would be to roll back the site, lose a few days' content and apologise about that, then just inject new graphics & colours into the old layout.

It occurred to me that if Mac paid for this botched site update that's a pretty awful use of charity money - how many hours of beside support could the money have provided?

On the other hand, if it was done for free... they got what they paid for.

Ultimately they had a great community and a usable, working site. I would call it a lifeline for some, and I use the word deliberately. Now even thinking about popping into chat is tainted with the apprehension that the site may not work, or be too slow/unstable to use.

I hope the public faces of mac are thick skinned, we all know it's not their fault. But it is someone's, and it needs resolving fully & quickly, not patching up on an ad hoc basis.

-edc

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Sniff Mate,

Glad to hear from you, just sorry none of us can see anything positive in the new site, I am not against progress, but I am againt change for changes sake with it results in a retrograte step - which I believe no amount of patching or tweeking will resolve, Hugs mate and wonder if our voices are even being heard XX

Cariad9 Mate

Hi, sorry you and others have been robbed of a resource that we all came to depend on as both a crutch for cancer but also a support social network of people who really understood how it felt to Hear the words - You have Cancer, either themselves or partners and realtives. The site was a source of support and at times even fun, those unaffected could never be expect to understand this, We were a Family - and it feels like we have just been deserted or divorced, OK to those unaffect you may thing I am being over dramatic.

Hi EDC

Again some of this is getting repetative from me, I know the old site had failing, it was slow ( well not in comparision ) You got booted from chat at times and yes there were problems with spammers. The spammer problems were being tackled by a combination of Vetting  of Blogs by some Community Champions ( hate that Title !! ) in conjuction with Admin and it apeared to be being effective.

While the cost element is important to any charity that is not my major concern, repeating again in case it has been missed it the fact that people who need support are just not getting it when they need it most.

I agree it would be better to work on the weak areas of the previous site than to impose an unworkable, untested and ineffective site. But come on who is going to be big enough on the managerial side to stand up and say - 'We Got It Wrong !!'  There is a danger heads would roll, but honest I feel they should. Who ever accepted this version, even on a trial basis, should stand up say sorry, sorry to the existing members, patients, carers and the ex's  but even more to the newbies. Ok I know I am ranting and may not even get a response but still think it needs to be said, at the end of the day its not a question of money, it is a question of supporting those affected by cancer, lets not just see it as a slogan lets see it as a crusade !!

Rant over Guys

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

John,

Thank you so much for writing all this and to all who have responded. It needed to be said!

I have something else to say, not sure this is the right place but I am just going to say it. This "new & improved" site reminds me of "The Emperor's New Clothes". The "Emperor" being Those who are Really in control of the site and Admin (having been convinced by their chosen site designers that it was going to be a good thing) and the "New Clothes" being represented by the Designers/Developers of this site. I dread to think how much money they have taken from MacMillan for this so called "Service"! Also, we should bear in mind (as already pointed out), that most - if not all - of the money has been donated or raised by events held by many, many people who wanted to help those whose lives are touched by cancer.

Yet again, too much money (not proven) has been spent on a shoddy product, not fit for purpose (so it seems right now) and no notice taken of any suggestions from members, either before or since it went "Live" (as far as I am aware) and most definitely not enough time testing the site before it went live (self evident).

Laura and James (and Rebecca, when you return from your annual leave), I am not blaming you for this, as John and others have said, we are aware that you are the only ones we have the ability to contact regarding this, but that you probably hold no responsibility for decision making. However, two years ago the two communities were merged, thereby creating a "new" site. I am aware that none of you - Rebecca, Laura or James - were working for MacMillan then and so have no first hand knowledge of what happened, but you surely must have archived material to look at? Also, I do know that Rebecca and probably Laura  have had plenty of emails and pm's from members telling them of the problems we had 2 years ago. Some of those problems remained unresolved and were probably part of the reason for this latest "re-design". We heard "We are sorry. We are working on it. It takes time" etc from your pre-desessors Rebecca, Laura and James and now, 2 years on and through no direct fault of yours, we are hearing the same things again from Admin. We really do not blame you three, but please see if you are able to ask your managers, or the people ultimately responsible one question for me. "How long does it take?"

They've had just over 2 years already.

The last change took place in September 2009 and many problems cropped up, but frankly I think this change has brought even more problems with it. By November 2009 we were being told that a "new, exciting site" would be launched in December 2009. December 2009 came and went, as did several other "promised deadlines" and December 2010 came and went too. Here we are in September 2011 and look where we are now! Hence my question - "How long does it take?" I do not want this to be the first thing any new comer sees - if they are able to navigate their way around - nor do I want to still be in this situation months from now.

The MOST important thing is that this site is supposed to be here for support. Somewhere one can come to and find information that is accurate and up to date. Somewhere one can come to and make friends - albeit cyber friends - in the knowledge that one is able to say whatever one  needs to, without fear of upsetting wives, husbands, partners, family members or friends, also to gain a certain amount of peace and calm or even laugh if that's what is needed too.

Becoming a member of the MacMillan site (s) and ergo a member of the Mac "Family" has truly been a lifeline for me and one without which I would not have coped. I have received lots of help and made some very good friends and hope to go on and make more. However, if the problems that exist here now are not solved, then I cannot see how many more friends I will be able to make and dread to think how many members of my "Mac family" will leave this site.

I will be quiet now, but I hope that those who are really making the decisions will be made to read all of our comments and more than that, actually act on at least some of them. Take care everyone.

Love, Rose

P.S. Christine - great news about your Mum - I cannot find our old thread either. x